Logo

Changing engine oil

Went to look at the boat my son boat today and spent some time going over it while sitting on a sandbar in the St. Croix River.

The engine (5.0) manual says to use a vacuum pump to extract the oil from the crankcase. Doesn't look like it's reasonable to drain into the bilge, but I'm wondering how well sucking the oil out gets the bottom of the pan clean.

As counter intuative as this may first seem, change your oil after the engine is warm. The viscosity will be in your favor.
And at least crack the oil filter loose while warm...... you can come back and change it later after it has cooled some. (these guys that end up with a stuck oil filter, have most likely tried to remove it while cold!)

I can't say enough good about Tempo's Oil Boy extractor.
IMO, this is by far one of the better manual extractors, if you are considering buying one.
It can have a multitude of uses as well.
140805.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I understand the warm oil thing as I've been changing my own oil for 50+ years. I just don't like the idea of not pulling the drain plug and getting the bottom of the pan flushed out. With today's oils (especially the synthetic ones), that really isn't necessary, but old habits die hard.

Can't say as I blame you for that.
Have you considered installing a remote oil drain hose kit?
You install it only once....... and wella! Easier oil changes from here on out..... particularly when used with the Oil Boy!

26163_M1.jpg

i will tell you what i did as i just changed the oil on my boat. now grant it i have a lit of room around my motor since it is only a 3.0 inline 4 cly on a deckl boat. now you might get a kick out of it but it worked. i took 2 trash bags and stuck them inside each other, had my boy climb down there(now keep in mind that he is small 11 years old and done weigh but about 65 lbs ans small framed at that)and he was able to get the wrench on the drain plug and i could brake it loose for him. he took the plug out and got all the oil into the trash bags and no mess. he loved helping me out on the boat and gave himi a chance to very helpful as well

I drilled and tapped my drain plug and put a brass valve in it. I keep a cap on the valve for redundancy. I put a hose threw the drain hole to the valve to drain.

Notice that none of these kits include a shut-off valve. There is no need for one, thus no need to reach in under the engine to fuss with a valve when the plug in the end of the hose does the trick.
The hose simply lays in the bilge (or you can use the clip that some kits include) when not in use!

It's called a "Remote Oil Drain Hose" as to make oil changing less messy, and more convinient..... not more difficult! :D (yes, that was a wee bit sarcastic :) )

Call me anal, but I AM NOT trusting a hose that holds back my motor oil in a large powered vibrator.
The 60 seconds it takes to remove the cap, put the hose through the drain hole, hook to the valve and open valve is worth it.
My oil will NOT be in the bilge because a hose or connector failed.
Yes that is a bit sarcastic

Call me anal, but I AM NOT trusting a hose that holds back my motor oil in a large powered vibrator.
The 60 seconds it takes to remove the cap, put the hose through the drain hole, hook to the valve and open valve is worth it.
My oil will NOT be in the bilge because a hose or connector failed.
Yes that is a bit sarcastic
Yes, you are anal, but then again, so I am!
I've been using the remote oil drain hoses as described for years and years. Not once have I even come close to having the plug accidentally come loose.
I think that the odds of that occuring are no greater than an oil pan drain plug, or for that matter, a brass valve vibrating loose.
Just my opinion here.

Back