Logo

Two hose Evinrude, to convert to single hose.

thudpucker

Regular Contributor
View attachment 959I'd sure like to speak with somebody who's done this conversion. I'd like some photos and parts locations. I'd also like to know if the whole project worked out well. :)
I have this old guy. I'm told it's a low hours Motor, and worked fine the last time it was used. Maybe some five years or so. I'm up for the cleaning and rebuilding etc, but that Pump business is foreign to me.
The numbers are: 5518-04045

2 hose evinrude.jpg

Last edited:
The model/serial # on the transom clamp identifies it as a 1960 3HP Evinrude.
Now, that "could" be true... and someone has put a 5 1/2 HP Motor cover on it,
OR....
It's a 5 1/2 HP Powerhead put onto the 3HP leg (or similar exchange).
You can look through the brochures here: OLD-OMC

Direct link to Brochure

Looking a little more- and there's no way that is a 5 1/2 on a 3HP Leg... it's also not a 3HP. Even the transom-clamps are different. I don't know if they are compatible....

Last edited:
Why do you want to convert it, there are a lot of those old motors still using the double hose system and running great.

RE: 3 Hp, I had a 3 Hp but sold it. I must have confused the photos. I'll fix that some time this evening.

I think I want to convert it because the newer is safer. But I am intrigued with the project. Its a failing in my mind because I don't even need that motor. But who knows.....

I'd like to know more about the Pump system. How it's changed and what all kinds of things I can do to make a fuel pump besides buying a Snow Machine pump etc.

I'd like photos too if anybody knows of a source.

Back