Logo

1964 Wards Sea King 50 hp electrical system

dougwb

I inherited a 50 hp Wards Sea King which I'm trying to get running. The red battery cable is attached to ground and I'm wondering if that is correct. (I haven't found an electrical drawing or manual yet, but I have a book coming from the library.) I received conflicting info from two different repair places, so I'm not sure if the wires are simply reversed. I need a good service manual also.

All I know is that all my motors have postive red to power side and black to ground. I know there used to be some old cars that hooked up that way. Don't know if that motor has a charge system but iif it does it will blow everything in the charge system if backwards just like on your car.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

I found an electrical schematic for the boat, and it is a positive ground system. The motor was also made by West Bend. The service manual I found, Old Outboard Motor Service Manual Vol. 2, is not very detailed in some areas. I'm hoping to locate a better manual.

West Bend never made a motor for Wards. Sorry that was wrong info. West Bend did make the 64 and 65 models. Just not listed at one of my sources. Then they were bought out by Chrysler. They also made a 50HP for Sears under the Elgin brand in 64. You could try http://discount-marine-parts.com/ for a manual or aomci.org and see if someone there has one they could post or send you.

Last edited:
Back