Logo

Evinrude model#115793S Tachometer

hotrod 2175

Okay let's start off with my motor, I have a 115hp outboard Evinrude, model#115793S. Not too long ago I replaced my non working tachometer with a new Faria tach. The old one was a 6K so I replaced it with a 6K, I also replaced the rectifier. The old rectifier had burnt up wires. Now when I give it gas in neutral, or in gear in the water; about halfway into the throttle my tachometer pegs out. Sometimes when I turn off the motor the tachometer needle stays pegged out at 6K....motor is not running, that can't be right. Did I hook it up wrong or is there something I am overlooking?

Re: Evinrude Tachometer

Tachometer dial should be set to #6.

What color wires are attached to that tachometer, and how did you hook them up?

Tachometer is set to #6. Okay, black wire attatched to ground, red wire to battery, grey wire to signal, blue wire to lamp, and a white wire going from gauge to gauge and attatched to battery on tachometer.

The white wire I am not familiar with. The other wires are hooked up properly. Disconnect the white wire temporarily to see if it is causing interference.

I recently discovered that I have low compression in 2 of my 4 cylinders. I can not even get the motor to start anymore, could that have something to do with my wacky tachometer readings? Either way it is going to be some time before I can actually crank the motor to see if removing the white wire will make a difference or not. On that note; I am in need of a Evinrude outboard motor if anyone can help!?

That means that you have a 35 psi difference between the highest and lowest compression reading. If this hold true, it's time to remove the cylinder heads in order to inspect the head to block sealing surfaces, the underside of the heads, the pistons and cylinder walls.

Back