Logo

Stuffing Box Mishap

1977Silverton

So here is the situation: I have twin 318's in my boat paired up with Paragon v-Drives. I had the boat out of the water last week for tranny work and had both stuffing boxes re-packed while it was out.

Took the boat out last weekend and when comng back to the dock, I heard a "thump." What happened was one of the blower hoses (looks like a dryer vent) got bound up in the starboard shaft (I can blame the marina for not directing this properly but ultimately, I should have checked).

I cleaned everything out from around the shaft and all looks fine. It did back out the packing nut and my question is - am I safe readjusting the and tightening the packing nuts or could it have pulled out the new stuffing material as well?

It is leaking more than it should (by no means a gusher) but I attribute this to the nut being loose.

Any advice is appreciated.

Can't see how that "dryer hose" could have gotten into the packing gland--wrapped around it, yes, but not IN it.

I suspect you need to tighten the gland nut a bit more, but don't bind it up (and keep an eye on it while running. If it gets hot, back off the nut.)

I hope they used Teflon packing? Great stuff.

Jeff

Back