Logo

AQ131a Seawater Leak

brian_zim

I am having a very difficult time getting my AQ131a to stop leaking raw water from the heat exchanger outlet. I recently installed a new Osco exhaust manifold. I used a new sealing ring, but I'm seeing significant raw water leakage at the connection marked 19 in this drawing:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cool...nifold-Aq131a/dm/store_id.366--view_id.324105

It seems the cooling pipe doesn't fit very well into the plastic hosing on the heat exchanger with the new manifold, but I don't think it was any better with my old manifold. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Yes, I have the same engine and have had the same leak. What I have found is that it is all about setting the heat exchanger correctly so that the heat exchanger outlet pipe is lined up perfectly with the copper hose connection. I've had to move the exchanger around twice to get it work correctly.

The other thing you will want to do is to slather marine wheel bearing grease all around it before connecting. Good luck.

Hi, I have posted the solution a few times. Bend the copper pipe about 1" towards the exchanger and your problem will be over.

I had the same problem, tried bending but still could not get leak to stop. So I tried putting TWO instead of just one glat o ring gasket on the pipe... wooolah! IT worked and still is sealed up just fine.
Greg in maine

Thanks guys, I bent the pipe and installed a second sealing ring. It did the trick. It took me all day and turned out to be quite an adventure. It turns out the bolts that came in the mounting kit with my new Osco exhaust manifold were not the same as the original. The new Osco bolt that runs through the heat exchanger bracket through the manifold into the block was quite a bit shorter than the original, and only a couple of threads engaged the helicoil in head, so wen I put the heat exchanger back on today, I ruined the helicoil, and the first couple of threads in the head. I got lucky and was able to replace the helicoil, and there was plenty of threads left in the head to hold the correct bolt. I was sweating bullets for an hour so though.

Back