Logo

distributor advance springs 318 225 hp

loid58

Contributing Member
I was putting new points in today in my 72 luhrs, with a 318, I took off the contact plate to see if there was any corrosion on the advance mechanisim. I noticed that there was one thick heavy looking spring, and one thinner spring. Is this normal to have two thickness springs in there, i thought they have to be the same. I always thought the boat didn't go as fast as it could, could this be the cause? Otherwise it runs great probably going about 15-20 mph at open throttle is this normal on a 25' luhrs with a single 318? thanks. P.S the tach doesn't work so I dont know the rpm's at w.o.t.

Those weird springs are normal, but is the advance advancing properly? Does the rotor spring right back when you flip it? If not, you need to add a few drops of oil to the shaft below the rotor and flip it a few hundred (that's right!) times to loosen it up.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, it seems to be working fine, the rotor snaps right back, and the advence looks to be in fine shape, no corrosion or rust.

I also have a 25' Luhrs (1973), w/an LM318. Just put a reman Edelbrock 1409 in, and getting ready to check/adjust timing. If timing is 5 degrees BTDC, any idea what the dwell should be?

Back