Logo

won`t shift 1988 3.0

papa5

Just bought 88 Four Winns ,3.0 L i/o original everything ,problem is ,won`t shift . Engine runs fine and all acces. work . Only problem won`t shift at all . Any help on what to look for would be appreciated !!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

Re: won`t shift

How about some more info from you. Does the shift lever move? Can you see the cables and linkage move? Do you hear grinding noises when shifting?? When was the last time it worked?

That is the best written article concerning the cobra dog shift in the world. Get a manaul they have trouble shooting sections.

Merc is right you gave us nothing but i still gave you something.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but too bad u bought a Cobra. OMC drives are the biggest piece of garbage ever hung from a boat. The shift system is a nightmare. Take it to a shop that knows how to work on those relics. Not many do.

Shift lever only moves when I disconnect lower cable ,cable will not move at all, everything else moves, throttle works.Talked with mechanic yesterday , told me to remove lower unit and check out cable ,might just be locked up ,says he has alot of them . He`ll have a manual for me today latest tomorrow and for what I paid there won`t be any rain .

Wow. "The biggest pieces of junk that ever hung off the back of a boat." That's pretty harsh.camaro1,pull the drive. it's only the six mounting bolts and the trim rams. Check the shifting rod, that's the piece with the v notch. It should move freely up and down and you should feel it engage with the detents. Check the lower cable for movement and check the bell-crank (the part the cable is attached to) for movement. This is a good time to check the bellows and grease the u-jionts. If the lower cable is seized the drive had to come off anyway.
now go start your own thread and quit hi-jacking someone elses

Last edited:

Pulled the drive , shifting rod moves freely , shift lever all gunked-up cleaned it all, now seems to move free . After all that mechanic calls says manual is in , come and get ! So, I got bellows and gasket and will put back together tomorrow . Thanks for the help

Back