Logo

Help with Volvo Penta AQ140 / Volvo 280 outdrive

IronWolf

I just got a 1978 Mark Twain boat that has Volvo Penta AQ140 motor/ Volvo 280 outdrive. Was told by the previous owner that cylinder head is rotted out & needs to be replaced. With my luck the rest of the engine will be messed up too.

Does anyone knows what other engines are compatible with Volvo 280 outdrive? It seems that finding the Volvo engine or parts for it might be a pain.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any 120,125,140,145 will work. If he means the rear cyl exhaust port is rotted out, that can be fixed if it's not terrible.

I just got a 1978 Mark Twain boat that has Volvo Penta AQ140 motor/ Volvo 280 outdrive. Was told by the previous owner that cylinder head is rotted out & needs to be replaced. With my luck the rest of the engine will be messed up too.

Does anyone knows what other engines are compatible with Volvo 280 outdrive? It seems that finding the Volvo engine or parts for it might be a pain.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can also get a car engine from an autowrecker and transplant all the marine parts to it. Search the forum, this has been discussed a few times.

Back