Logo

merc 1988 5.7 350 no spark/ how to check ign module for replacement?

danthemancarolina

Contributing Member
5.7 350 merc iv thunderbolt ignition. 1988 I replaced ignition coil and I still have no spark. How would I trouble shoot the ingnition module (they are expensive). trouble is it worked fine the last time I fired it up. Also the rotor looks fine and i have replaced the sensor about a year ago and it hasnt had hardly any run time. I have checked my grounds and all wire connections look fine. I am getting a 24v reading from the coil. Help please

Re: merc 5.7 350 no spark/ how to check ign module for replacement?

with key in the on position you should read 12V at the + side of the coil
5.7 thunderbolt igitition no spark prob help - iboats Boating Forums
sorry it was 12v. I did the following based on the book
1. power from coil = yes
2. power from red/white while connected =yes 5.6v
3. power from green/white while connected = yes 5.6
now book reads as follows.
a. if no votage is noted (well i get voltage)
b. if voltage in noted, replace ignition sensor.
(The way i understand it if you get power from the previous step, then you skip to section 6.

section 6. if battery votage is present at white/red disconnect coil wire and provide spark gap, then strike the green/white wire against ground. (i get no spark at this stage). I have replaced coil so book says its the ignition module. Sound like this is the problem??

if that is the case get ready to spend some $$$$$$ been there done that good luck

Tests for Thunderbolt Ignition:

W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

Check the kill switch first!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts are present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced.

1. power from coil = yes
(The way i understand it if you get power from the previous step, then you skip to section 6.

section 6. if battery votage is present at white/red disconnect coil wire and provide spark gap, then strike the green/white wire against ground. (i get no spark at this stage). I have replaced coil so book says its the ignition module. Sound like this is the problem??

Hi guys I had some experience with 5.0 1990 Bayliner 27' thought I did everything right in checking spark but ended with a bad ignition switch. no spark while cranking. I pulled my hair out because it kept pointing to expensive ignition module or amp. Crazy huh. Got new ignition switch problem solved. Even when you have 12v at + side of coil when in on position.

5.7 350 merc iv thunderbolt ignition. 1988 I replaced ignition coil and I still have no spark. How would I trouble shoot the ingnition module (they are expensive). trouble is it worked fine the last time I fired it up. Also the rotor looks fine and i have replaced the sensor about a year ago and it hasnt had hardly any run time. I have checked my grounds and all wire connections look fine. I am getting a 24v reading from the coil. Help please

My symptoms were the same and the ignition module was plugged in but the purple wire and gray wire to it were not plugged and the engine ran . I cannot figure that out please comment thank you P

I did the cheks on #1 I am onlygettin 11.2 volts everything else is new sll no fire is t the ingnitr..??

Check the kill switch first!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts are present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced.
[/QUOTE]

1. power from coil = yes

yes that would point to ignition module per the merc manual . They are pricey but the Tbolt ignition is otherwise a very good system, with very hot spark.

when I repowered my boat a couple years again I bought two of the 5.0 alpha modules and sold my old v6 module for about $200 each. I think with a lot of cracked blocks you end up with otherwise good used modules. If you can test it out right away you can see if it works.

at this point I have replaced everything I mean everything .... still no fire my ole dist check bad so I bought a new one it checked bad right from the box now I question my volt meter im lost....

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

at this point I have replace everything I mean everything still no spark my ole dist check bad so I got a new one it check bad right from the box... now I have guess my volt meter im lost...

Back