Logo

Inline fuel filter/water separator 1986 170

Have a 1986 Mercruiser 170.

Can you guys give me some advice on buying a fuel filter for this beast? I'm not sure what to buy and I went to Autozone the other day and looked and theres like a million different kinds. Worse yet, my fuel line to the fuel pump is 3/4" thick and all of the filters at AZ were VERY small, like 1/4" and would never work on mine.

Plus I would also like to have a water separator on the system as well. I did see some fuel filter/water separator combos that were a screw on type, like an oil filter would be.

What do I buy, does anybody have any part numbers off hand? I would like to buy an 'apparatus' to install and the screw on filter (again like the oil filter does) just screws on and and change it out every season or whatever.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Re: Inline fuel filter/water separator

Just buy a few extra filters. Replace them every year during your winterization. Keep an extra on the boat just in case you get a tank full of bad gas. Don't need any other after market fuel filters.

Re: Inline fuel filter/water separator

Have a 1986 Mercruiser 170.

Can you guys give me some advice on buying a fuel filter for this beast? I'm not sure what to buy and I went to Autozone the other day and looked and theres like a million different kinds. Worse yet, my fuel line to the fuel pump is 3/4" thick and all of the filters at AZ were VERY small, like 1/4" and would never work on mine.

Plus I would also like to have a water separator on the system as well. I did see some fuel filter/water separator combos that were a screw on type, like an oil filter would be.

What do I buy, does anybody have any part numbers off hand? I would like to buy an 'apparatus' to install and the screw on filter (again like the oil filter does) just screws on and and change it out every season or whatever.

Ideas?

the fuel pump can has a fuel filter. I used the WIX filter for this , which is a high quality meda. the auto store was carquest. autozone/advance auto only has cheap chinese paper filters.

Back