Logo

'78 chevy 305 0mc fuel pump

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
ok heres the question .... new omc fuel pump $117.00...on ebay $72.00 +shipping.... auto parts store $29.00. now i understand that distributors , alternators , starters , and other electrical parts are sealed differently than autos and water pumps are built with non corrosive metals on internal parts , but could someone enlighten this newbie as to why i would want to pay an extra $50 for a fuel pump that is mechanical and does not come in contact with water or electricity? thanx in advance...dimitri

The Chief wants to know if you have the yellow line in place.
On a car if the fuel pump diaphram ruptures it will dump fuel out on the ground...no big deal. However on a boat you don't want the pump to dump fuel in your bilge as that spells BOOM! The marine fuel pumps have a fitting to attach a clear or yellow line to that runs up to the carb or intake manifold and that's where the fuel goes if the pump ruptures. Pretty sure it's coast guard regs to have that line in there, definitely not worth taking a risk for.

Last edited:
thanx that makes sense..took a closer look at the boat and you guys are right ... thats why i ask the questions. the extra $50 is worth avoiding an explosion . i dont want to end up looking like a chucky doll hehe

so heres the deal , today i put gas in my main tank and connected all my fuel lines . i installed a new fuel filter as well . now when i fired the engine the vent tube that chief allen and bob were refering to was spewing gs in a pulsing manner . if i understand you guys correctly that means that the diaphram in the fuel pump has failed. am i on the right page? and also wanted to add that there was no stalling issue either. she purred like a kitten the only problem was the vent hose pumping gas. i plugged that into the carb and it quickly flooded ,so while running it i stuffed it into a gas can and it ran beautifully. it gave me huge inspiration to continue my epic adventure in rebuilding this boat . and also helps me justify spending some more money on it . one of these days ill post pics of it for you guys ... so you can have a good laugh .thanx in advance....dimitri

not yet chief , still waiting for the cash to get my intermediate shaft done . i bought an auto fuel pump , but i took it back after our conversation yesterday. i'll get one soon though. i have plenty of other chit to do on this hoopty in the meantime. thanx again chief...dimitri

I just picked one (Fuel Pump) up and slapped it on my V6. Direct Carter replacement at the local NAPA Store. $90. Canadian, taxes and all.
I was really suprised to see these guys HAD a book with OMC stuff in it.

S.

I just picked one (Fuel Pump) up and slapped it on my V6. Direct Carter replacement at the local NAPA Store. $90. Canadian, taxes and all.
I was really suprised to see these guys HAD a book with OMC stuff in it.

S.

I'm not, I've picked up quite a few OMC parts from my local NAPA store. 2.3 OMC, carter fuel pump... 150 bucks. Just one example.

Consider this a chevy block, is the same no matter what externals, napa is where i find my plugs, AC MR43 t can't find them anymore in the boat stores, all nkg.

What i am finding is the auto fuel pumps have a plug in the hole where the over fill hose goes. They are now making everything universal.

Example: Sons Mountaineer starter went, how dare it only 125 thousand miles on it at the time. Sent DB electrical a email, bought tons and tons of stuff from them, 85 bucks delivered marine rated.

Is the pump you saw for 72.00 on flea-bay new or used? If it's new, that's a real good price, as you can tell. I don't think I could force myself to by a used one off of there. JMO.

i have a 1988 305 bayliner trophy and i was wondering. do that clear/yellow line have to be that, or can i use that black gasline hose.

I see them marine electrical fuel pumps on ebay. will they work, and do they have that fitting attach to them? they are only around 35.00 on ebay, are are the ones in the car parts store the same and will they work?

The reason for the line to be 'see through', is that you may see if the membrane is broken and fuel leaking into the hose.
You may use a marine electrical fuel pump providing you hook it up correctly.
In short only working when engine is either running or cranking, but not directly on 'ign' circuit!!!!

Pretty sure the original OMC mech pump on mine didn't have the clear or yellow return line on it and the previous owners ran it like that for many years with no troubles. Guess they were lucky.

Back