Logo

Tachometers

jclays

Regular Contributor
I was wondering if I could use tachometers with digital read outs in on my boat. I dont see any offered by the various marine instrument companies, however there are plenty offered in the automotive world. The reason I would like digital is to closer match the rpms on my twin crusaders. The boat is a 1966 so there is not much in the way of electronics on board. A very simple boat to work on. Its sooo nice.

You could also use a SYNC gauge like the swing needle type...I have one and it is terrific. You can hear the beat frequency as soon as the needle centers itself...Good match for me

FloScan has a version of the fuel meter with a digital tach function. It ain't cheap though.

Like Knuckle, I use a sync gauge. You'' find even the expensive ones will be cheaper than a pair of digital tachs.

Do you really think you need one? Granted mine on my 24 year old Tiara is old so maybe it can be adjusted but I think I can do it by ear just as well as the gauge. Now may dad had a Glendenning synchronizer on his egg harbor. Now THAT was sweet. You run 1 engine throttle and the module runs the other engine to match the speed.

My swing needle sync gauge was about $115.00, performs wonderfully, is available in 5 different styles to match, is 3" in diameter and installed in about 30 minutes. Granted, Glendenning stuff is sweet but you spell that..... $weet

Do you really think you need one? Granted mine on my 24 year old Tiara is old so maybe it can be adjusted but I think I can do it by ear just as well as the gauge. Now may dad had a Glendenning synchronizer on his egg harbor. Now THAT was sweet. You run 1 engine throttle and the module runs the other engine to match the speed.

Dont really "NEED" them. Been doing it by ear and the analog tachs however I get anal about some stuff and I just "WANT" to see them matching.

Back