Logo

Cobra shift cable replacement 1987 3.0 L

kracker

Hi everyone. I just joined & this is my 1st post. My boat is an '87 with a 3.0 Cobra drive. I've been trying to adjust the shift cable using Stewart's website & a factory manuel. I just cannot get it to shift into forward. Reverse is fine. I have split the drive & adjusted the shift rod to the proper height, but to no avail. I think it's time for a new cable. How diffuclt is it to replace the cable on these drives? Do I feed the cable from the engine side or the transom end? If anyone has done this project & can advise me, I'd appreciate it. Thanx.

Re: Cobra shift cable replacement

It won't shift with the engine running. How can I tell if it's shifting with the engine off? I don't think it will anyway as the bellcrank does not seem to move high enough to move the shift rod when I shift it into forward.

Because when it's engaged (adjusted properly) per Stewarts/factory instructions you can't turn the prop manually counterclockwise. Before you recable reread the instructions again. Normally takes two people to adjust properly. Because if you replace the cable you will probably be right back to where you where.

Ok, thanx. I have adjusted this cable using 7 9/16 & 7 5/8 on the engine end. I now have the drive off & I can tell by the bellcrank position when I shift into forward that it's not going to work. When I shift into reverse the bellcrank moves downward enough to where it will shift into reverse. I pulled the drive to replace the gimbal bearing. Previously, it would shift but I was getting the 'ol bump from the lower unit, so I attempted to readjust it. Now, I can't get it to go into forward.

Back