Logo

Boat engine vs car engine

farmeloj

Can a ford from a continential 302 be install in place of a merc 288 (ford 302 ). My project is a 1973 reinell 21 cuddy, I also have the wire harness because the car motor is throttle body F.I.

Thanks

It should fit, as long as it's not the newer 'modular' engines. I'd be inclined to change the freeze plugs and the camshaft though as well as put the "marine bolt-ons" back on the 'new' engine.

The key items to verify are the front motor mounts' bolt patterns and that of the flywheel cover (bell housing). If they are the same, the mounting system doesn't change.

You need to determine whether or not you plan to use a Closed Cooling system... or raw water cool this engine.
Raw water poses some corrosion issues (even if lake/river water) regarding the automotive head gaskets and these steel casting core plugs.
The brass core plugs and Marine head gaskets will fair much better if this is to be raw water cooled.
Likewise if using an automotive Aluminum intake manifold on a raw water cooled engine!
It will last for a while, but these components will likely be doomed for failure in the not so distant future.

The automotive TBI will meter the fuel differently, and I'd sure consider NOT using it!

Ditto re; the Marine profile camshaft!

Throwaway engine in a throwaway boat? I don't see a problem there. As long as it runs and the guy doesn't kill himself or others...

Back