Logo

What engines mate with a volvo penta 280 outdrive

Jim R

What engines do mate with a volvo penta 280 outdrive. Anyone know???
Currently I have a aq 130, I have been told that it is a general motors engine or block is that true?

Nope, the AQ130 is the old standard straight up iron engine and it's a Volvo thru and thru. Nothing bolts to it but a AQ170 that is the same but 2 extra cyl's up front. Many engines have been used in front of an AQ series drive, it's all the different flywheel covers and exhaust parts that can be the nightmare re-powering. Your best bet is to find a rotted boat with the powerplant you want already mated to the 280 and scoop it up. Gearing is different for the amount of cyls in front of the drive.Trying to do it a peice at a time would bankrupt Bill Gates.

Last edited:
If just speaking of drive match, any Volvo 4-cyl (130, 120,125,131,140,145,151...)will match. They all use the same ratio 2.15:1.
That said, you may end up in other problems like engine mounts, exhaust etc.
The 170 as mentioned above use a 1,95:1 ratio.

If just speaking of drive match, any Volvo 4-cyl (130, 120,125,131,140,145,151...)will match. They all use the same ratio 2.15:1.
That said, you may end up in other problems like engine mounts, exhaust etc.
The 170 as mentioned above use a 1,95:1 ratio.

Did Volvo Penta make a different gear ratio for outside the USA? I've only known the AQ170 to be a 1.89:1.

Mixed it with a duo-prop ratio.
Here is the general ratios that may be read out from the drive ID tag:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]B = 1.61:1 C = 1.89:1 D = 2.15:1
In general, all 4-cyl runs D
6 in-line C
V6/8 and diesels B
That said, the drives are close to bullet proof.
I have run AQ200 on both C and D drives as well as AQD21 on a D drive without problems.
Just watch out for 'minor' issues like splines in yoke and steering helm bolt size and get a suitable transom mount!
[/FONT]

Mixed it with a duo-prop ratio.
Here is the general ratios that may be read out from the drive ID tag:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]B = 1.61:1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]C = 1.89:1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]D = 2.15:1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]In general, [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]all 4-cyl runs D[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]6 in-line C[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]V6/8 and diesels B[/FONT]
That is correct!
Some of the 4.3L's, in the right hull, can also use the 1.89:1.

I don't know what you are wanting to do, Jim, but minus exhaust issues, just about any engine (that has at one time or another used a Borg Warner flywheel cover), can be adapted to an AQ series out drive.

Several years ago, a forum member was wanting to keep a 460 OMC KC engine, yet go Volvo Penta Duo Prop, but not in the DP-S version.
He wanted to use the AQ series drive, specifically, the DP C drive.
He was told that this could not be done.
NOT so!
The 460 has been equipped in the past with the B/W pattern flywheel cover! I think mostly with jet drives.
I was able to show this man how to make the AQ series connect up and work using the B/W--Volvo PDS adapter housing.
He is currently using and enjoying his 460 BBF w/ a DP-C1 drive..... and happily too. :)

If you have the time, and if you know which parts to use, you can do many out of the ordinary conversions.
However, it is often best to stay with an OEM set up.

Hey Jim R. I may be able to make things easy for you. I have a Volvo Penta 130a with a 270 outdrive that I need to get rid of. May be easier to replace the whole unit.

Back