Logo

Need some Help - 1975 115hp

a1bukk

I have been reading thru the threads and found various ways to figure out what model engine have. So far, this thing has me stumped. There is a little tag on the air box that says 1975 and there are #'s on the head, I have attached a couple of pic's - I want to get a new impeller & thermostat.

full side view.jpg

Small Side view.jpg

small head #.jpg

small top view.jpg

Here you go:

A: This tag has your serial number and model number. It is not "always" correct- because sometimes the brackets are switched, or powerheads replaced.

B: There should be a bright silver disk- about 1" in diameter. This will be the serial number of that powerhead/engine. You may have to remove the coils to see it. It's on top of the cylinder block.

This site has serial # & model ID Pages:

Johnson: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/john_model_guide_pre80.html If it's a Johnson- The model # should be 115ESL75 or 115ETL75
Evinrude: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/model_guide_pre80.html If the airbox is correct- the model should be 115593

115-Serials.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I feel so stupid!!! I have been crawling over that motor for a couple of weeks!! As soon as you pointed it out, I saw it!!

Thanks for the help!!!

p.s. - Is there any secret to getting the bolts out that hold the lower unit on? I can't get a socket with my breaker bar on there.

Thanks Again!!! #Bingo 115593E

Last edited:
You can change the water pump impeller, and service (seal-kit) the Lower Unit without removing the leg. I suggest you purchase a manual from this site.
Until then, I can send you the scans from the Seloc manual.
Thermostats located in the "box" where the (2) 3/4" hoses from each head meets. Very close to "B" in the photo I posted.

Last edited:
You can change the water pump impeller, and service (seal-kit) the Lower Unit without removing the leg. I suggest you purchase a manual from this site.
Until then, I can send you the scans from the Seloc manual.
Thermostats located in the "box" where the (2) 3/4" hoses from each head meets. Very close to "B" in the photo I posted.

okay - I ordered the parts manual & the service manual.

I pulled the hoses and no water is coming thru when the engine is running - pretty sure it need a new impeller.

I would rather not remove the leg if I don't have too - thanks again!!:cool:

Removing the lower unit..BE sure and disconnect the shift rod from the clevis linkage under the bottom carb on stbd side.

There is an O-ring that seals the drive shaft to the power head. This friction might make the lower feel stuck to the engine.

The four bolts that hold the lower unit on can be used as jack bolts. Unscrew the bolts about 1/4 inch and see if the lower drops. If not, place a wood block between the bolt heads and the cavitation plate. Use an open end wrench to jack down on the blocks against the cav plate. Only turn a 1/2 turn at a time and evenly load each bolt by turing all in the same increments. When the lower starts to move, try wiggling and remove with hand force. BE sure there is something to catch the unit if it drops. The unit is kinda heavy and it often put you in an awkward position. Pay attention to the cav plate. Don't let it bend.

There are two plastic tubes on the water tubes to the engine. don't loose these, they are used when reinstalling to guide the water pump ports to the water tubes. The ports are in an alum plate on top of the water pump. If used in saltwater, the plate's port rims may be corroded.

Last edited:
Back