Logo

1992 4.3 Yamaha/Yamaha LU Shift Problems

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a 93' Chaparral 180 SL with a 4.3 Yamaha and a Yamaha lower unit.

The boat will now only start in Forward and dies when I try to shift into neutral or reverse. Some people have said its the shift cable. What does it sound like to you?

How hard is this repair? Is there a write up? a repair manual? I need your help!

Thanks!

Captain Jack Shallows

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a 93' Chaparral 180 SL with a 4.3 Yamaha and a Yamaha lower unit.

The boat will now only start in Forward and dies when I try to shift into neutral or reverse. Some people have said its the shift cable. What does it sound like to you?

How hard is this repair? Is there a write up? a repair manual? I need your help!

Thanks!

Captain Jack Shallows

Hi, I'm new to the forum, did a search for this very same problem. There is whats called a shift interrupter mounted on the starboard exhaust manifold in which the shifting cable is also mounted, there should be a switch in that shift interrupter mechanism (Painted Black) all those parts need to be clean and function properly because what happens is when you shift from or to F*or R that lil arm in there will stay stuck pushing the switch in and killing the motor. It's suposed to interrupt the ignition of the engine momentarily to allow shifting to take place, this problem is mostly caused by something that isn't quit right in the Outdrive in which I have yet been able to find. Will look into it later on when weather permits. If you disconnect one or two of the wires going to that switch it will no longer shut down the engine and may allow you to shift, just make sure engine RPM's are around 600 or lower.

Get the Clymer Yamaha stern drive shop manual it will be a big help but not sure if it will fix your problem as I'm still searching.*

The first thing to suspect is the shift cable, however there can also be a minor problem in the shift fork. Drop a line to Captain Ken http://www.nelsonmarineservice.com/ describing your symptoms and he may be able to help.
Why, he even assisted a Yamaha sterndrive owner down here in deepest, darkest Australia.

Changed both shift cables all bearings, seals, upper shift slide and cleaned burrs off of shift cam and coupler in lower unit and still the same problem. The shifting cam and shifter in L.U. didn't look too great but cleaned it up and shifts fine by hand when grasping the shift coupler, although it seems a little hard to move and may have to clean out shift shaft hole top and bottom. Tried calling Captain ken yesterday but there was no answer, will try calling again Monday.

Back