Logo

installed new u coolers this weekend

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Not too bad although you need a few different size wrenches depending on the fittings used. I know that I used 3/4", 1" and ?.

I marked the orientation of the old fittings onto the new coolers with a Sharpie. That saved me from realizing they were off while connecting up the lines. A sharpie is one of the best tools to have in your box. I mark up new/old parts all the time so I know they're going back the same way. An arrrow or words like "UP", "LEFT", etc., can save a lot of time.

The transmission lines didn't leak at all, the oil side dripped a lot. Make sure you have 2-3 oil absorbing sheets underneath.

I didn't replace the lines but might do that over the winter. They had pretty good flex but they are 22 years old.

Has anyone had one of the lines burst? I'm not sure how much pressure they're under. I'm thinking it's more likely I'll get a leak by a fitting rather than an outright hose failure. Maybe more so now that I've loosened them.... I guess that's less fatal than an internal cooler failure so I'm hoping the lines are good for another 40-50 hours.

Bob

I found out the price of rubber hoses went up, when I replaced both pairs of the cooler hoses. Here are some part nos. for the bulk hose:
Aeroquip FC332-08 xmission
FC332-10 engine
The push on brass end fittings work well, but take a fair effort to "push-on" with your hands.
I"m surprised the 22 y/o hoses still had flex. Mine (Weatherhead) did not at about the 14 year mark, so I replaced them. There is not much pressure in these hoses, but a crack in one will definately make a mess in there, plus shut you down.

Dave,

Thanks, just went and looked these up. So the fittings are just a hose barb, push on connection?

I thought they would be similar to my flexible fuel line fittings which were a two piece threaded setup. At a minimum, I should at least order the hose so I have it on board.

BTW, my are aeroquip from the factory which maybe holds up better.

Last edited:
Back