Logo

chevy motor 350

Roger Schmidt

OMC Cobra stern drive: purchased a new 5.7 Liter chevy crate motor to replace the original 5.7 Liter engine. The flywheel and coupler do not match the bolt pattern to the rear crankshaft flange. the diameter of the of the new motor crank flange bolt holes is 3 5/8 inch Center to center of bolt holes, the original flywheel and coupler is 3 in. What is my solution? Thanks in advance for your help. PH # 909 866 2458

AND WHAT IS HE GONNA DO TO HAVE THE SPLINES MATCH UP ?

Tell him where to buy it include the link please, because there are alot, i mean alot of guy's would like to know.

My question to the original poster is where did you get the motor, and did you ask the people you bought it from will the drive spline or coupler would fit.

What year is the old motor ?

Your "new" engine is the older style two piece main seal crank. The "old" engine you took out has the newer one piece main seal. You can buy a new flywheel and coupler to fit the new "old style" engine or try to swap with the vendor for the correct engine.

The flywheel you can get from several places but your best bet is to try a place that rebuilds engines...preferably marine engines as the flywheel won't be machined for a clutch. A new flywheel from Mr GM is a couple hundred bucks. The coupler for the two piece seal is Sierra 18-21751 about $165.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a Mercruiser coupler will work too. Sierra 18-2171 and 18-2172 should do. Or Mallory Marine 9-72502

All is not lost. Again you have to choose whether to try and return the engine so that your old parts fit or just buy new parts that do. My personal choice would be to buy new coupler and flywheel. Oh and that bolt diameter should be 3 1/2.

AND WHAT IS HE GONNA DO TO HAVE THE SPLINES MATCH UP ?

What? what splines? The drive splines? those are all the same Mercruiser, Volvo OMC .

Tell him where to buy it include the link please, because there are alot, i mean alot of guy's would like to know.

Our host sells these parts, except for the flywheel which is a GM part.

My question to the original poster is where did you get the motor, and did you ask the people you bought it from will the drive spline or coupler would fit.

Clearly the answer is no

What year is the old motor ?

It's a one piece main seal engine.

Roger, I believe that the OMC Cobra was introduced in 1987.
Any Post-1987 5.7L SBC (some sources indicate 1986) should work with your OEM Flywheel and Coupler.

The change to the 5.0L flange (I believe) occurred as early as 1985!

Point being (and only if I'm correct here) that by the time the OMC Cobra came to be, both 5.0L and 5.7L engines had the 1pc rear main seal..... (i.e., circular rear crankshaft flange and bolt pattern of which is specific to the later flywheel!)

Perhaps you did purchase a Pre-86 5.7L engine, in which case I would see if you can return it for the correct vintage.
I'm not sure that the Cobra and/or Cobra drive coupler existed for the early crankshaft flange and bolt pattern due to the 1987 introduction.

If that's the case, there is likely no other way to do it, unless someone offers an early crank flange drive coupler!

Last edited:
I think Ricardo figured it out - the new Crate motors have the old 2 pc rear main seal design.
I don't know if there ever was a Cobra coupler for those early motors....
I suspect the 1986 parts book would be the place to find out. Compare to 1987/88 and see if the number is different.

shop.evinrude.com

i too like i said in the first post, maybe i didn't express it correctly. What Hy And Ricardo said goes for me also. The problem will be the flywheel and coupler.

Rick aka Ricardo aka 2850Bounty
Are you that Idiot that tells everyone to convert from OMC to VP so you can make money off them ??

And that chased off all of the OMC mechanics and other members from bayliners owners club. :eek:
You said over there that you knew NOTHING about OMC's !! So whats up with that on here ??

Roger, I believe that the OMC Cobra was introduced in 1987.
NO it wasn't !!. It was way before that year !!, You know nothing about them so WHY comment on them. :mad:

Last edited:
Ok the cobra was " Supposed " to be introduced in 85' but the outcry from the omc dealers were not ignored by omc. So omc pushed back the the new model to 86'.

The reason was that omc dealers had a huge stock of stringers. But i have seen stringers on boats as late as 88'. This past sunday i saw a nice boat pull up to the ramp behind me.

So i pulled out and away from the ramp, and the guy comments to me i got a stringer on this one also.

I waited it was a 88' he bought it new, it was blazing hot out so we only spoke for a few minutes, i gave him my email so i'm waiting for him to email me.

Now to the other stuff you wailed on Ricardo for he did or didn't do on another webiste.

Why bring that chit here ? He has been very knowledgeable here, knows his chit.

He don't need me to defend him, but be nice and you will be treated nice capiche ?

Ok the cobra was " Supposed " to be introduced in 85'
NO way before that. I guess you guys don't know the whole Cobra story do you ??.
There was the stringer & Cobra & King Cobra. Then VP bought them out .

With Ricardo being a VP guy you would think he'd known about Cobra's ??.:confused:

I'm just giving you guys a heads up on this guy. :)
He's on here just for the money that he can make off you !!!. :eek:

NO way before that. I guess you guys don't know the whole Cobra story do you ??.
There was the stringer & Cobra & King Cobra. Then VP bought them out .

:eek:

You've got the sequence of events right but seem to be confused on the timing.

Officially the Cobra was brought out in 1986 (late 85), I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from but they are incorrect.

Also if you have issues with Rick I think we would all appreciate it if you take them offline through PM's or emails. That's not what this forum is for and I've seen this happen too frequently on other boards. I'd say that the folks on this board are terrific, they don't let their opinions or ego's get out of hand and the admin folks are great too. Would be a shame for this board to end up like some of the others!

Thanks, Chiefalen and Boatin Bob, for the kinds words. Back at ya!

Roger, I can only apologize for the disruption caused by this knucklehead.

Unfortunately this interruption is being done by whom I think is a man named Wayne S.
Sadly, he is a grown-up by way of age, at I believe 50-something years old! An age where most would certainly know better than to behave like this! He's actually a child by way of actions.

The dead-give-a-way to who this is....., is the very distinct poor and improper writing style, which includes a lack of vocabulary, incorrect punctuation (that includes multiple punctuations that interrupt thought pattern....... I'm not surprised at that one :rolleyes:), very poor spelling, negative attitude and qualifies w/ zero mechanical aptitude ....., and so on.
(you'd think that a guy would be smarter than this, when trying to troll anonymously!)

He has a bone to pick with me over a series of very old and extremely silly issues.

Apparently he is not content unless he is stirring the pot somewhere, and creating disruptions! Perhaps we left the back door open here, or perhaps at least un-locked!
He was (past tense) "W___'s World" on the BOC (BaylinerOwnersClub.org).
Many of his posts have either been deleted, or edited to omit certain content by now! Some are still there.
If you need a good chuckle, take a peek. You'll find things such as a suggestion to use a Fernco coupler (which do not make the chemical resistance criteria or Heat criteria) for an OMC exhaust riser-to-Y-pipe connection, Duct Taping a fuel tank vent fitting, and the list goes on!
He is quite amusing, yet states that I don't know what I'm doing!

Here's the sad part.
He had been short time banned from the BOC many times, with warning after warning after warning, and I think as many as 8 or so time-outs! He was given more chances that I have ever seen ANY administration give a member.
Even following these repeated warnings, he eventually worked his way up the ladder, and gained himself yet a more permanent disruptive status, and was finally granted a Final and Last Time Permanent Ban by the BOC administration......., and thank goodness for that! :)

Many of us grew up with one of these personalities.... and dang it, here he is re-incarnated as "Sea Turtle" now on ME.com.

Andrew, you may want to peek in at the BOC yourself, and see why this person has been banned. You may want to follow suit, because it is very likely that nothing but trouble will follow if you do not.... IMO.
You've just had a small taste of what you can expect.

Sorry Wayne, but you bring this onto yourself each and every time.
Even if your gripe with me was legit, do you honestly think that this is the place to air out your laundry, or that it is going to gain you friendships or popularity here?
What other posible outcome could you expect when you post like this?
It's the same old stuff, different day, different forum! :(

Edit:
His typical MO is to stir the pot, disrupt the thread, and then never come back to the thread to leave a comment, a correction or an apology!

Last edited:
Sad to say that 155 members have now viewed this thread, and no further comments for, or by, Roger are being posted!
This is exactly what happened on the other forum when this schmuck would disrupt a thread in his typical fashion. Either a heated discussion would begin, or all would come to a screeching halt, and the members became reluctant to continue with the comments.
He's out there on the S/R forum also.

Are you proud of yourself, Mr. passive/agressive Sea Turtle? :mad:

My sincere apologies to all of you guys for my long winded comments! This guy needs to be sent packing, never to return again!

look bud this is real simple. please dont come over to our peaceful site to stir up old crap that makes no difference to any of us to begin with . at this point you have accomplished nothing more than ruining rodger schmidts post and anyone who wants to learn from it so why dont you go back where you came from and leave rick and the rest of us alone if you cant behave

^^^ +1 (ditto!)

This is one of the friendliest boards I've been on, people respect each other for what they are. Sure no one is perfect and if someone makes a mistake it's handled in a friendly way. No one has to call anyone down...we don't want finger pointing or name calling, just good honest advice along with a few light hearted comments once in a while makes this board great. If you can't offer up some good constructive advice without taking a shot at someone then I would say "Take a hike"!

Last edited:
I'm with dimitri want to contribute fine want to fight call up springer and go on his show.

In my book whatever i read from rick is right on point, good solid troubleshooting.

I just went through this Same thing when I replaced my 5.7 about a month ago excepty situation was opposite. I replaced the older two Pc seal with a newer 1 Pc rear main seal.

The older engines flywheel was 3 1/2 bolt pattern and I needed a 3".

They sell two couplers for the 5.7. One is for the 3" flywheel and the other is for the 3 1/2" flywheel. Both have the sale splines.

Roger, Like said earlier...... I can only apologize for the disruption caused by this knucklehead.... I can't apologize for him!
Apparently S/T (or whoever he really is) cannot honor the forum format.
Once again, none of his comments had anything to do with helping you. :(
And then to come here and not even reveal his identity! :rolleyes:

Attitudes as such can often be a result of low self esteem, immaturity..... and possibly un-balanced chemistry. Hmmmmm!
(I'll cut some slack if from a birth defect or an injury from a serious auto accident!)

dimitrimfogal, Boatin Bob and Chief.... again, thanks for the kind words.

If anyone had an issue with a thread on the BOC, THAT would have been the place to call me out, or to ask for clarification..... not on an entirely different forum!

Sometimes, and with some people, the only agenda is this;
istockphoto_1523068_stirring_the_pot.jpg

Let's move forward!

Last edited:
Due to recent bantering back and forth (you know the thread), let's be clear that these are suggestions ONLY, and are of my opinion only!
Thats just it your suggestions ONLY.. NOW !!! on BOC

Ricardo, You back peddle on so many thread over there. How come you're here and not over there ?.
Are you trying to save yourself by being over here. ?. You're a FAKE and people are finding this out on BOC.

If you look in the MY forum you'll get a clue as to who I am. :)

Thats just it your suggestions ONLY.. NOW !!! on BOC

Ricardo, You back peddle on so many thread over there. How come you're here and not over there ?.
Are you trying to save yourself by being over here. ?. You're a FAKE and people are finding this out on BOC.

If you look in the MY forum you'll get a clue as to who I am. :)

Sea Turtle...you are dumber than dog shiat....you obviously have no respect for the OP (Roger) since your hanging your dirty laundry in his thread.

Since you seem to have a problem with Rick over on the BOC then may I suggest you take it back over there and work it out or deal with it.

Andrew....kick this guy off this board!!!!

Kicking the guy out maybe ain't the way, but maybe a private talk with him.

Just seems drastic to ban someone, just my opinion.

It's no big secret i've been banned from another website for disagreeing with a moderator. The guy knows nothing of stringers , and the poor souls looking for help there get bad advice, thank g-d Hy and a few others from here go over there and post replys.

I think if this person would post a apology to Roger for interrupting his thread.

I would leave it in the hands of Rick he's the one being attacked, i never met Rick in person but one gets a feel for people reading what they post. Rick got class lets see what he says.

If the guy agrees to abide bye the rules here and has something positive to add, maybe this can be resolved in a good way.

Andrew runs a tight ship he's the boss and of course the final word is his.

1. Kicking the guy out maybe ain't the way, but maybe a private talk with him. Just seems drastic to ban someone, just my opinion.
  2. I would leave it in the hands of Rick he's the one being attacked, i never met Rick in person but one gets a feel for people reading what they post. Rick got class lets see what he says.
  3. If the guy agrees to abide bye the rules here and has something positive to add, maybe this can be resolved in a good way.
  1. Well, if this is the same guy using a buddy to do his posting (IP address turns out to not be same) then all of the warnings that he received at the BOC did absolutely no good! That left only one option! And yes, it sure does seem drastic to ban someone!
  2. Out of my hands, Chief.... but thanks! As far as the "attack", I'm more concerned about the unnecessary and rude, childish, disruption to Roger's thread. And yes, if you have a beef, take it up in a grown-up like manner, and elsewhere.... not here!
  3. Yep...... Key words being "something positive to add"!
Again, what a shame when a grown man feels the need to do something like this.... let alone acts upon it in this manner! And then to hide under the "girly skirt" of anonymity..... Sheesh!

Give a man enough rope, and he'll eventually find a good use for it..... and you know what I mean by that!

Last edited:
What the h-ll is going on? I go into the hospitl ?? ( still durged up) for a week and 1/2 and this happen. I see sea frog is gone That's good and for every one that may see this thread this is not the way it goes. If you need help you came to the right place. Hy, Bob and chief and the rest give the best help out there and it's free. And for parts Andrew is the man to see.

I sure hope Roger has got his problems straightened out and is close to splashing his boat again.I hate to see anyone get banned but that guy needed to go. He added nothing useful to Rogers post.chief, as you know, I have sent several people over here from other forums and will continue to do so. I sure hope he wasn't one of them.Rick, I don't know if it was your help with my problem over at BOC or not but it got fixed. Thank you if it was and thanks anyway if it wasn't.Bill

Back