Logo

Volvo Penta AQ205a distributor

Razza

Hi,

Really could do with some advice regarding distributors for an AQ205a. The engine in my boat is some 20 years old and therefore the parts are becoming a little tired.

The engine has slowly been getting worse, you fix something but that causes something else to fail. Due to these numerous failures I have noticed that the springs in my distributor don't appear to be giving the resistance they should be. I have read numerous forums all stating that I shouldn't just replace the springs and think that this will sort the issue (and tbh finding the springs is another totally different issue).

I would just like some advice on which direction I should consider going. The engine is currently getting both cylinder heads re-ground and new valves fitted as it lost compression in cylinder 1. Due to this I have found out that it is GM Chevy 4.3l (262cui) V6 engine, with a plethora of tuning options. Could I convert it to TBi, replace the distributor with a Mallory YLM 624 AV (but I don't see how this will help as it is not an OEM part so don't see how is it just going to work out of the box?) or replace the springs.

Another slight issue I suffer is that I live on a small island in the english channel and therefore don't have access to the expanse of engineering companies I would on the mainland.

Any help you can give me with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

When these advance control springs become rusted or broken, and if the weight/cams still function, there is a risk that the ignition advance will occur too soon.
Ignition advance that comes on too early can cause engine damage under the right load conditions.
You'd best correct this ASAP.

If you were to replace them yourself, you need to immediately check timing for what's called TA...... "total advance".
You will need to read up on this so that you understand the procedure.

Most people would have this done by a shop who has an old school distributor machine.

Another option would be to completely replace the distributor with a good marine unit that is spec 'd for this engine.
You can kill many birds with the same stone if you were to do this, IMO.

• Eliminate contact points
  • Eliminate worn shaft bushings
  • You get all new cap, rotor, triggering system, driven gear, etc.

Back