Logo

Alpha One Dies Going Into Gear

mmw

I am wondering if this problem is related to, or just coincidental to a repair I just did. I replaced the water pump in my '88 outdrive (engine is the 4.3L V6), and after reassembly, the engine starts fine and runs well at any rpm when in neutral. But when I try to put it in gear, forward or reverse, it just dies - won't even get into gear before stalling. I thought perhaps we didn't have the shift shaft properly in gear as the manual states, so I took the lower unit off again, believe I have it properly in gear when putting it back together, but same problem. Somehow I'm thinking this is more electrically related than the shifting, but I've not done much work on this boat except the usual maintenance chores, so the problem has me baffled.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

im not a boat mechanic you will have to wait for some of them to anser but ive learned some things from them, there is a shift interupter on the starboard side of the motor,it killes the motor for a split second while comong out of gear, there is two cables there ,one from the shifter ,and a shorter one going to the drive ,there is a little switch with a vee notch,the v notch moves when shifting out of gear,it helps disangage the gears, but wait for one the seinors to anwser they no alot more than me and can tell you why its doing it

Thanks I saw that mentioned when searching here, but now am home so I don't have my manual with me to look that up. The engine did overheat last use before replacing the pump, so I'm wondering if all that is related. Thanks again, I'll look forward to the other repleis.

Yes

the short shift cable typically hugs the exhaust rams horn at the back of the engine and when you overheat your motor the cable gets cooked and causes resistance and resistance is what causes the interuptor switch to be made when shifting OUT of gear......

Look at the back of the engine, looking at the engine look at the left side and or follow the short shift cable routing and look closely at the point it comes in contact with the exhaust.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So the question is, do I assume a bad switch and replace it, or do something to free up the cable/shifting?

Thanks again,

Mark

So the cable is melted ? You looked ? Ghost took time to post what to look for.

So say the cable is melted, you think it has to be replaced ? If you think yes you would be right.

So when you do route the new cable maybe wrap that one spot in foam, something so it doesn't happen again.

Good luck !

If you replaced the impeller from a overheat condition, the shift cable is fused where it passed around/over/under the exaust pipe.The switch is working properly.a new shift cable should solve this problem

My 1986 305 Alpha One did that. The cure was to pull the outdrive and lubricate the shifting arm on the boat side (that was sticking). Totally cured the problem.

Jeff

Back