Logo

OMC in-line 6 to 1971 165hp Mercruiser

kryptonitexp

Hi,

I have a question. I have a 1971 Delta with a bad transom. The engine and outdrive work great. It has a 165hp Mercruiser (Chevy in-line 6 cyl engine) with, what I would guess is a Mercruiser I outdrive. I came across a guy that has a 1968 Sportcraft with an OMC in-line 6cyl. Engine is blown, but the OMC outdrive is good. Would my chevy engine mount into this? Would I need to put my outdrive on too (would it fit?)? What kind of problems am I likely to run into with this?

Thanks!

Re: OMC in-line 6 to 165hp Mercruiser

the basic engines are the same Chevrolet 250 cid, but it is not an advisable project.

A 1968 OMG is a nightmare
but the OMC outdrive is good.
^^
that wasn't even true in 1968

You would be better off to find another hull with a mercruiser cutout, or just sell your parts and buy a nice running Mercruiser powered boat.

Hystat,

You hit the nail on the head for my dilema. I bought the Delta for $500 last year, knowing the engine and outdrive were likely good. Took a gamble on the hull. Got the engine running (very strong), got all hydraulics working, put it in and she ran like a top. Only problem (huge problem) was that the transom was rotten below the drive.

I pulled the engine and drive with the intent on redo'ing the transom, but found out that my life is much too busy for such a task at this point. What to do? Keep it around and hope to have enough time here and there to work on it? Sell the parts (sitting on a nice shorelander double axle trailer) for what I would guess to be about $1400 and see where that gets me? OR try to find a solid hull for my engine and outdrive and sell the trailer/scrap the hull.

Trying to get on the lake, but also trying to raise 4 kids, so don't have money laying around.

Thanks for the input as I have walked away a bit smarter.

I've done a lot of reading over the past day.

It appears to me that Mercruiser type "R" and Alpha-1 (generation 1)drives are interchangeable. Is that correct?

It looks like the generation 1 Alpha 1 was made up until 1990. If I find a solid hull and transom and the year is 1990 or older AND it had a mercruiser (other than a bravo) on it, I should be able to mount my Type R on it, right?

Thanks!

Hystat, I can't thank you enough.

As for the engine...

Do I need to be concerned about block length when looking at a hull? Such as, if it had a V-8 in it, the original block may be longer than my small block 6? Or will all Mercruiser equipped boats have a beam able to support/mount any mercruiser engine? (Sorry, I am very new to this working on boat stuff)

Do I need to be concerned with how the cooling system is? My Delta is freshwater and say the hull I am looking at had a closed loop system... Would I then be taking it down to just the cutout and putting my gimble housing, bearing, etc. in?

(Sorry for being a pest.)

If the hull had a V8, it probabaly needs a V8 -don't put a 165 where an 8 once was.

every engine bay is different. even on 2 identical boats with different engines, they may frame the bilge area differently and even locate stringer beams in different places.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to tomorrow to look at a 1979 Wellcraft hull.

If the guy is honest, the transom is rock solid, the hull isn't soft anywhere and the floor is sturdy. Had a small block chevy 6 in it that he pulled (I'm guessing a 165 given the year). Has a good outdrive on it and a good trailer. Hope he doesn't mind that I'm going to be pushing and poking at the boat, but I won't buy it unless I'm sure she's solid.

HYSTAT FOR PRESIDENT!

Back