Logo

Bukh DV24 - Pressure in sump

Mark Finlay

I have a Bukh DV 24 with pressure in the sump. The oil is thick but i dont think that it is water. can anyone assist. I also dont have a manual(just brought boat), does anyone know where I can get a manual from.

Gday Mark,
It may be a blocked grank case breather or cyl gas blowby, how does the engine cold start? If lube oil has water dilution it will change colour towards light grey depending upon %.Sounds like engine is due for a service-- oil, filter etc at your operating area a good quality 15/40 diesel oil is whats needed.The prices of bukh parts in aus will floor you, take the old filters to repco for a match, if i find the euro site re manual i'll post latter.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. The engine starts cold OK but the pressure in the sump becomes big problem. As I dont have a manual at the moment it is hard for me to fault find. Because the oil is so thick I cant remove via the dip stick and I cant reach the drain plug which I have to work out.

Mark,
First step clean crankcase vacuum valve located in engine oil filler cap with kero, when clean and workimg this allows the crankcase to run a slight neg pressure.The motor has probably been running to cold or using the wrong oil this is the cause of most sludging.You will need to run the engine 20-30 mins to thin oil to help with evacuation via dipstick, if no joy add a couple of litres of diesel and crank hot engine over with stop lever in the kill position, repeat as required. Google, manuals Scheepmotoron for dv24 info.

Thanks for the reply. Dont have an oil cap only a screwed plug, unless I am looking at this wrong. Looked up Scheepmotoron and go nothing. Is the name wrong?

Hi Mark, just stumbled on this year-old thread. I'm in Pittwater with a DV36 and just wondering what the outcome of your "pressure in sump" issue was? Was it the oil filler cap valve or something else? Mark

Back