Logo

7.5 Kohler Generator RPM Measuring

I know this has nothing to do with Crusader engines, but I was hoping someone could give me advice on measuring the RPM's on my older Kohler 7.5kw gen set. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the two alligator clip leads of my analog hand tach. This engine uses a magneto with no exposed coil.

Thank you, Harry

Jeff, do you mean the kill switch on the side of the magneto or should I remove the control box cover and attach to the switch there?

Thanks, Harry

Watever switch is used to shut the motor down will provide a feed to your tach. I used a similar setup for outboards on my dink boat.

Jeff

A hertz meter is the best way to go since that's really what you are setting anyway. You want to load the unit and set the rpms so you are holding 60hz. It will rise slightly with no load but as long as it doesn't go over 62 or so, you will be fine.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. I will get a hertz or Kill-A-Watt meter for sure. I used the hand tach and set the rpms to 1800 as per specs. I don't trust it, sounds like she's screaming away.

Tom,

That Kill-A-Watt site has some really cool things out there. I would LOVE to answer the questions they have posted just in the ad...I am calling them tomorrow.

Back