Logo

chrysler/AMC 360 Solenoid Issue

76galaxieJET

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 1976 18' galaxie jet crusier, with a AMC (which I believe is the same engine as Chrysler) 360 with a Maritec Panther360 jet.
Anyway, today we were doing some standard maintainence, replacing battery cables and such, and the solenoid broke into 2 pieces while I was trying to unhook a cable from it.
We went to the local Napa auto parts and bought a new solenoid for an automotive AMC 360 solenoid. It looked essentially the same, except it only had a hook-up for the "S" wire, not "I" like the old one did. Anyway, I hooked it up, turned the key, and the boat started right up, but the starter didnt stop spinning. I killed the motor right away, but the starter kept spinning.
What gives? Everytime I start, it never stops spinning. I know this is the new solenoid creating this problem. Maybe it was the automotive solenoid. Does anybody know where I could get a solenoid for this motor?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adam

You have it wired wrong so when the juice hits it, it pulls in and stays that way. Remove the big wire that goes to the starter (to keep the motor from starting) and try again. It should 'click' each time you hit the starter switch. If not, remove/ relocate wires until it does.

Jeff

Back