Logo

1980 Gamefisher(Eska) Water pump testing?

xltom

Contributing Member
I just got another fixer upper motor for my little boat and this one runs!!! I think I have everything worked out but I want to be sure that it's pumping water. I have a parts motor so I tried pulling the lower unit on that one first. The prop/drive shaft would not come free from the powerhead. Does it need to be disconnected up by the powerhead?" Diagrams at searspartsdirect are lacking detail in this area. Also it looks like I need a special tool to get that apart. Looks like I would need a female star driver(like a star socket). I got the LU off by removing a gear from the bottom of the prop shaft. Unfortunately only after breaking fins off of both the LU and column. Oh well it's just the parts motor.

I noticed that the clutch on this one is in the lower unit(my parts motor didn't have any) so does that mean it pumps water in nuetral? My hand definately gets wet when I put it over the upper exhaust vents but I thought that since it was the same in nuetral as when in gear, it was just spray from the exhaust bubbling up.

I guess I'm just asking if there's any way to be sure it's pumping without pulling the more complicated LU......or maybe just exactly how much spray should be coming from the vents?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share. The model# of the good motor is 217-585932. I didn't check the model# on the parts motor but it is a little older without "electronic ignition" and aparently is a direct drive or has a different clutch upstairs...

Xltom
I don't know anything about Eska motors but I found this web site ;

http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/

Good Luck with Your motor!
Steve A W

Thanks, they have a page on that site that tells you how to evaluate the status of your water pump. By their standards, mine might be just fine. Took it out for a test drive today and I don't have the carb sorted out yet. She bogs down intermitantly when recieving heavy throttle. I'll try a remote tank tomorrow but I might need to rebuild the carb. They had carb kits on that site as well that came with "detailed instructions".

Back