Logo

Throttle lever

Hey guys,

I have a 3.7L Mercruiser 170 (1986). My throttle lever is very loose (but functional) and ugly as sin.

I found this one:
http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3463731

and really like it. I asked the guy at the parts store and he said it wouldn't work and that I needed to spend over $650 on his OEM kit.

Is he BSing me? The websites say this lever is pretty universal. Will this work on my boat and engine? Boat is a 1986 Sea Sprite 195 if that matters. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good looking throttle lever either.

Thanks,

OEM? That guy is full of you-know-what. My controls were made by Hi-lex and came with the boat with a 470. I think this recession is bringing out the worst in some business people. Did he really think you were going to sepnd $650 for a throttle on a 24 year old boat? This site just saved you hundreds of dollars my friend!

Oh my common sense saved me, but you guys confirmed my suspicions! Oh yeah they also wanted $75 for OEM spark plugs.

This place is "supposed" to be one of the most reputable marinas in Indianapolis. They claim to be like Top 20 in the country by some magazine...

Oh my common sense saved me, but you guys confirmed my suspicions! Oh yeah they also wanted $75 for OEM spark plugs.

This place is "supposed" to be one of the most reputable marinas in Indianapolis. They claim to be like Top 20 in the country by some magazine...

My guess is tops in profits. Spark plugs should cost no more than $4 each. I spend <$75 on a whole plug wire set and wires just aren't cheap anymore for any vehicle. Find another place to shop!

Seasprite, you can get wires and the like at a site called carshop.com and they carry all the Pertronix stuff also. P.S. I forgot to tell you that you can regap your plugs to .040 but I would highly recommend that you use 8mm wire or it might cause you more harm than good.(spark is only as good as what is behind it) That is only if you went with a flamethrower or flamethrower 2 coil. Some Napa stores have a marine catalog and I think they may sell 8mm wires for the 470 that are cut to length already. If not, you will have to make up your own wire set to length. best of luck,Tom

Thanks Tom,

I did go to Napa and got 8mm wires. They are cut your own length though and those boots are a PITA to get on to the wire. Rubber on rubber doesn't work well. Got to WD40 them up and try again. I did get a Flamethrower coil, so I will be trying to .040 gap. They said with the Flamethrower II you can go up to .045 but I'm gonna try the .040 once I get those wires on and this puppy running.

Back