Logo

BF 225 Throttle/shift cable adjustment

harvf16

Recently I replaced both throttle and both shift cables on my 2003 Honda 225 four stroke. The port motor shifts smoothly from idle to forward back to neutral and into reverse. The rpm range is from 1000 at idle to 5800 WOT. The challenge is the starboard motor when retarding the throttle from forward to neutral it seams to pass neutral into reverse and must be moved forward from reverse to find the neutral position. Rpm range 1000 idle to 5200 WOT. I'll work the rpm issue after adjusting the neutral issue is resolved. I need a pointer as to which end of the shift cable to adjust and in which direction.... Thanks

I just posted this for the fellow with the low power on a jet drive. Here it is again....

Throttle Control Adjustment
First, with engine off, take off the cover, put in gear (gently), push throttle full open and inspect whether the throttle lever arm (at the cable cam wheel) is up against the stopper. It should be. If not, before adjusting, pull throttle back to idle speed, put shifter in neutral, and follow the cables to the throttle cam wheel (on top of the engine toward the rear) and make sure they are not damaged or kinked.

At the throttle cam wheel, make sure the adjustment nuts are tight. Measure the distance between the adjustment bracket and the end of the cable adjustment threads. The should be 9 mm on both. If not, adjust.

Back to the throttle cam where the lever is located - measure the length from the end of the threaded part back to the adjustment nut - the open side (to your left as you are facing it) should be 14 mm. The close side (to your right) should be 19mm. If not, adjust.

Put back in gear, and push throttle all the way forward. Throttle arm on the cable cam should be up against the stopper. If not, then you likely have a problem with the cable from your throttle control to your engine, which will need to be adjusted or replaced.

If the throttle arm is up against the stopper, then look at there the roller sits in the throttle cam. It looks like a fat inverted "L". The roller should be almost touching the top of the narrow part of the "L". Then pull the throttle lever at your control all the way back, and put the engine in neutral. The roller should now line up with the "V" mark on the foot of the "L." If not, adjust the linkages until the roller does what it is supposed to do - touch the stopper at full throttle and line up with the "V" mark at minimum throttle.

Question: I have an 2004 BF225. Have never had problems shifting from N to F to N to R, etc. The last few outings, it's been a little sticky going into F and more so, R. With the engine turned off (and trimmed to a fairly normal run position), it now won't go past the 30 degree position in R. Do I follow the steps above or is there anything else to look for?

First of all - be very careful about shifting while the engine is not running - you can screw up the shift linkage if you try to force it. Make sure engine is in neutral, and have someone turn the prop while you try to shift. Disconnect the shift linkage at the engine. Then work your controls, if still stiff or not going the proper distance, you have a bad or kinked cable or a problem with the shifter arm in your helm control. If all that works easily, then you will need to drop the lower unit and find the problem with the shift arm in there. If you are going to try to do fix it yourself, get the Helm shop manual.

Back