Logo

general feedback on Volvo 5.7's

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I'm jumping over from the Crusader forum for some feedback. A good friend of mine is looking at a 2000 Chris Craft with a 5.7 GSI setup.

The lower outdrive was just replaced, I've read online that these are a weak link.

What about the engine in general? It's got 400 hours, raw water cooled, always in salt water. No cooling system components have been replaced other than impellors.

Seemed to have a distinct "shake" at idle but the engine mounts look high and sort of "rubbery" compared to my Crusader mounts. Not sure if this really an issue or not.

Any feedback good or bad appreciated. I did a 1st pass and he's going to get it surveyed.

My initial feedback to him was it's going to need some cooling system work. Not sure what the general life expectancy of a RWC engine (in salt) is...

thanks,
Bob

Unless the engine was freshwater flushed, it probably needs exhaust manfold/riser replacement.

Shouldn't shake, might need a tune-up.

Motor mounts ok?

Was outdrive in gear while shaking?

(props out of balance/damaged/ u-joints?)

John

Shake- ditto on the tune up- plugs, cap & rotor. If original cooling components I would put money on original wires. The slightest bit of corrosion in the cap will cause misfiring. Might also be smart to check the compression in case the exhaust valves are starting to burn.

Back