Logo

Mariner 40hp two stroke outboard

If the first part of your serial is 6E9 that would make it a 1989 model.

I don't know if a factory manual was ever available from Merc for these.

They were built by Yamaha (for Merc) to be sold mostly in the Asian market. The 40 in particular became very popular and ended up in high demand worldwide.

Seloc's "Volume 1 - Mariner Outboard, 1&2 Cylinder - 1977-1989" is about the best I have found for the Yami built Mariners - sells for about 35 bucks in either printed or electronic format...

If I add two 00's to the serial number it comes up as 1989M MARINER A/B II RC4 SANSHIN NA 40 ELO, Engine model number 70403129U

But I'm not to sure of the breake down of all the letters on this one,:eek: But may be graham will know how to breake this one down?:)

Don't have a clue about the A/B II RC4 part. I have some pretty good model data on the Yami/Mariners, but never saw that.

Sanshin is the mfg plant. Sanshin industries is one of the Yamaha (outboard divisions).

The "NA" means it was built for the North American market (Yami started adding that digraph to "quota" motors when Merc accused them of "dumping" in the US market which seemed kinda stupid since Merc was in a joint venture with Yami to build these models - go figure).

The ELO part is -

E - electric start
L - long shaft
O - oil injected - this would have had an actual oil pump, not the auto-blend system

Back