Logo

new 8.1 GPH

35_chris

I have a pair of 2008 8.1 Captains Choice EFI Crusaders and at 3,500 rpm the port engine is burning 16 gph and the STBD burning 14 gph. Is this to be expected? The 2 gph differance is basicly the same across all rpms in the above 3,400 - 4,400 range. If there is a way to calibrate please advise. Thanks, Jay

Engine data from ECMs to NEMA 2000 engine parameter info including fuel flow data in both Garmin 4212 display and Murphy power view gph display.Thanks for your help! Jay

So is the sole source of fuel consumed the ECU's or do you have the GFS-10's tied into the garmin network?

Hello to all ...

Very interested in how Chris connected Crusader data feed to the Garmin for engine data display ... We are in the middle of the same and looking for Garmin side of the connection. We already know the data is in the Crusader 20 pin canbus and also know the pins are 16 and 17 and 13 for ground. We also know the Garmin is capable of showing engine parameters ... just looking for the connection strategy and specific fittings.

thanks to Chris in advance - or anyone else who might have done this already.

Allen

Garmin provides the "how-to" in their installation manuals. they also provide cable configurations, and recommendations for all prominent engine OEMs. They also include the cable part numbers. From there its just a matter of selection the parameters to 'extract' from the bus....much like the older NEMA serial bus messages.

My engines do not use the new digital signals, they are only a few years newer than a rope pull starter and my Garmin 4212 has some really nice dash instrument displays. We use the GFS 10 fuel sensors and that data alone can be mesmerizing so I am currently investigating this device. I am sure you will easily have access to the information you need to go direct with little effort

http://nolandeng.com/rs11.php

Hi again Chris,

if you have the time, it would be a great help if you can send me the precise cable information that you are using to send the engine data from the Crusader 8.1 canbus up to the Garmin NMEA 2000 network ... I can not seem to get Crusader and Garmin to give me the precise cable or connectors. I have the ability to create one if you can tell me how you were able to do the same. I sent this to your private email as well. Thanks mate.

Allen

I have the 2007 Crusader Technical Training manual for the 8.1 and it gives all of the pin outs expected signal levels etc. IF anyone wants it I can email it to you.

Could there be somthing causing a bit of extra load on that engine? slighty bent or fouled prop?How about a heavy electrical load. A loaded up alternator could rob a few horses from the prop. That would have to be made up = more fuel to achive the same rpm

Jay,
The difference is, at least in part, to the difference in gear ration between the two engines. Even though both gears are the same ratio, one of them is running backwards. In reverse, there is a 1 point difference in the ratios. Typically, the port engine is running backwards which loads the port engine slightly more than the starboard.

Back