Logo

Block Drain Taps for AQ130C

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
I need to replace the block drain tap that is on the oil cooler on my AQ130C but I can't seem to find a definitive reference to the part number I need to buy. I've seen both OEM 82744 (1/8" NPT) and OEM 82745 (1/4" NPT) mentioned. Does anyone know the part number for it? Thanks!

I did some more research and determined that OEM 82744 (1/8" NPT) is the oil cooler drain tap. I found it online for almost USD$20, which seems expensive for a simple drain tap. Is there any reason why I can't use something much cheaper like below?
490-240-001.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR1/4902401.oap?pt=N0278&ppt=C0331

That will work just fine. If you want cheaper, put a 1/8 pipe plug in it and just pull it when you want to drain the cooler. Make sure that water does drain from whatever system you use. Many people open the drains not realizing that the drain hole in the block or cooler is plugged, piece of wire will get the sand or whatnot out.

Thanks Gary. I like being able to just open the drain rather than removing a plug so I'll go with something like above. Should I use either teflon tape or non-hardening pipe compound on the threads?

I use the brush on teflon pipe sealant one gets at any hardware store. The tape tends to be a hassle for me and can cause split housings/threads.

Back