Logo

Gray Marine - 109 issues and questions

stuewe

I have a 1960 Century Ski Dart - 109hp / engine model P3743.

My boat was hard to start and would not stay running after I put in gear. Marine Repair shop said I had "stuff" in my filter/line and probably the tank. They said I had debris stuck in my needle valve (?) Where is this and how can I fix it when it clogs again to avoid $85 charge?

The glass gas filter will catch some debris - any suggestions on catching most?

-I sucked out all the gas and debris (there was alot-rust colored sand particles along with same colored flakes) from the tank.
-I have added Sea Foam to the tank and put about 5 gallons of gas.
-The filter into the carb would get some large black colored flakes also ( was told this was debris from inside my engine compartment.

Anything else I can do?

Second issue is that my starter was "rebuilt" by the same repair marine shop 3 weeks ago - boat did not start yesterday so I took it off and having a pro starter/alternator shop look at it. They said getting parts for the solenoid may be hard to get - any directions?

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG00212.jpg
    IMG00212.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG00213.jpg
    IMG00213.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG00214.jpg
    IMG00214.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 102
The "needle valve" is one of the adjustments in the carburetor (slow speed needle valve is on the aft side of the throat maybe 1 1/2" below the manifold flange, high speed needle valve is the on the bottom of the carburetor). I wouldn't really suggest your getting involved with them unless you want to first learn a fair bit about carburettors and what is in them. A full carb. disassembly is often required if a needle valve (jet) gets clogged.
Any good quality after-market fuel filter should do what you need.

i cleaned up my tank and had a bunch of old "gunk gas" I had it started this spring - an for an hour - then happened again. Bowl full of clean gas and dead in the water.

I had a similar problem and corrected it by buying a new, custom gas tank built by Raco out of Florida. It was a loittle over $400 (including shipping to Michigan) but well worth it and is Coast Guard approved. Also, you can buy a carb rebuild kit from the Carberator Doctor out of Canada. The carbs are simple in carb terms so any good mechanic can rebuild it for you.

ONCE YOUR tank starts flaking which is probably what's happening, you can either change it, fix it or wait it out. i put in a large gas filter (twice, on seperate boats) and waited it out. a summer of changing it a lot, and then nothing since. on the starter, if you have issues let me know. i have 6 or so starters in my garage. i've been running a 57 109 gray for 40 years and have accumlalted a lot of parts. did you switch over to 12 volt?????-email me if you'd like.

Had carb rebuilt - runs much better. They had to soak and clean it twice! Runs much better - now I see that my fuel pump is leaking!!!!
Any guidance on repair/replace? I dont see a model on it other than AC
IMG-20110625-00072.jpg
[/IMG]

can't tell where it's leaking. never seen one crack. you should be able to pull it, make a gasket and reinstall. it's a pretty simply set up.

Had a local classic vehicle shop rebuild it - it was missing parts! They replaced the missing parts / cleaned up like new and she started right up!
I just had to change the oil as fuel was in crankcase - oh joy.

I had the parts missing problem on my 109 carb. Dunno why folks think you can just leave parts out when you rebuild these things. I am sure a few bruskies or filtered corn liquor is typically involved when parts are left out :)

Back