Logo

Engine and Floorboard Insulation Q's

tweed

OK, so I've asked around at my favorite sea dog haunts and I don't get much in the way of opinion or advice!

So I pulled out all the old oil and water soaked insulation from below the deck on my cabin cruiser. Replacing engine so access is good right now. Most of the high density sponge foam was so heavy with liquid that it had already fallen down.

So I need to cut and fit new pieces of insulation/soundproofing and cement them to the bottom side of my engine hatch cover and decks the the port and stbd of the engine well.

So what do I use? Has to be heat and moisture resistant. Looked at the pink wallboard construction insulation, with the foil on one side, but the data sheet states to not use in high heat conditions, (besides if it burns it's so very toxic).

So what is used in modern boat building for this application?

J C Whitney sells a jute matt with aluminum on one side. I've used it on cars with good success. I doubt if it would burn, but the jute would need to be kept dry.

Jeff

I used the stuff from NAPA that is designed to go under your car hood. Sound and heat resistant. They stock it. It's used by hotrod guys a lot.

Back