Logo

Can't pass 2000 rpm

seungjoonyi

I have 5.7 merc rebuilt. It starts up and idols. I choke up n it revs up great. I rev it up in gear and it sounds great. I take it to water put it in gear and it won't go past 2000 rpm. I put it in choke while in water and it revs up normal but still can't pass 2k rpm. At home in gear it goes to 4k rpm. What's the problem?

whats this choke up, choke down stuff ? What you have a manual choke ? You have a carb i guess cause you mentioned choke the chicken.

You reply to me and i'll tell you what i think your problem is.

Maybe i'll choke and tell you the wrong thing, maybe not.

choke to start up when it's cold. 4 barrel carb. I put in gear at home n it hits 4000 rpm but not in water. I guess it can't handle the load. What do you think the problem is?

Last edited:
I have 5.7 merc rebuilt. It starts up and idols. I choke up n it revs up great. I rev it up in gear and it sounds great. I take it to water put it in gear and it won't go past 2000 rpm. I put it in choke while in water and it revs up normal but still can't pass 2k rpm. At home in gear it goes to 4k rpm. What's the problem?

what is this engine pushing ? what is the prop pitch ? out of water no load in water max load ...too much pitch no rpm ...

under heavy load you need more fuel than no load ..

took it out Sunday n it did the same (2k rpm) n it was shaking
rebuilt marine
carb tested works great
if out of timing could it cause this problem?
plug wires be bad?

Last edited:
if out of timing could it cause this problem?
plug wires be bad?

Yes. Wires could be defective or just loose on the plug. Check the wires and put on a vacuum gauge. It will tell you alot about your engine. Chiefalen posted a website for "how to" use the gauge.

Back