Logo

86 Bayliner carb issues??

uscgret

Hi, I've been chasing problems on an 86 Trophy that I purchased after it was bought new off the Detroit boat show floor room, used twice and the parked in a field. (El Pescador may remember this one).

From the onset it overfueled, gas in pan, strong gas in exhaust, big rainbow on water.

After following advice I've managed to bolt everything new on it and 3 carbs later, 3 pumps later, all new fuel system, pertronix ignition and tune ups and fuel filters and everything except Dorothy's dog.

Now I have a stranger issue, it never did run right but specs are across the board with the manuals. 155 across all cylinders, 6.1 at fuel pump, 12.8 at coil.............etc

It runs like a raped ape at the dock, but get her underway and over 2200 RPM and it stablizes like it's in a lean condition. I broke down and bought an edelbrock marine 650 after 2 vp rochesters and same, same. No fuel restrictions. Everything right down to the pickup and antisyphon are new as well as the damn hose claps.

I can ramp the engine up at the dock and secondarys open and it purrs. Underway, loaded at 2200 rpm it just gasps.

I guess I have 2 questions and am all ears. What ohm coil should I be running (without the resistor as per pertronix) (I have a 1,5 flame thrower) 2nd one is.......I have no vacuum lines to the carb and all the ports are plugged as were the VP carbs. Should I have?

The outdrive is free and runs out perfect, so why just under load??

Guess that's 3 questions.

Anyone??

The boat only has 300 hours on it and is virtually new. Hasn't been molested (yet, but if I can't get it going soon my wife might).

350 chevy, 280 O/D naturally aspirated.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!

Denny

Do you have an old style (points and condenser) distributor,if so check to see if the centrifical vacuum advance weights are rusted,and not moving.

Hi Bob, thanx for the help.

I have a new Distributor and pertronix electrinic ignition as noted above. Everything seems to be free and fine there.

Denny

Hi, you asked me to answer to your PM but I get the message

"uscgret has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove uscgret from the recipient list and send the message again."

Well?

El,

I don't know why it went wrong but I'll just repost in the forum the PM I sent you.

Appreciate the help.

Th PM was long and complete and took an hour to draft but it's nowhere to be found. I'm not a huge computer guy. My mistake somehow.

Thanx, I'll bang out another after work.

Denny

I'd be looking at electrical, not fuel issues.

I finally managed to send you a response, but now I check in my "sent" messages and it has also vanished!! Is there something wrong with the forum messaging or is it just me?

Please check if you have received it. If not, I will try to post here.

EL,
Got the Msg. It's definitely the site problem.

I will boot leg the fuel (again) and run direct voltage to the battery/coil.

Also, when I followed Pertronix they said to remove the ceramic ballast resistor by the dist. Place the two that were on the same lug (Crimped together on a factory lug and sealed) (presumably the one that runs to the tach and off the alt to the + side of the coil. The third was to be abandoned and disconnected from the starter. Is this correct.

Also, I have on the back of my Paris Rhone VP dist a small resistor in line that comes off purple and is then connected into a brown wire. Should that resistor also be removed???

I have an empty pole on the alt that has an odd symbol that's vacant, but the purple resisted wire that originates and turns brown in the loom says +. (I'll check it again but I'm pretty sure.)

You the man!

Denny

EL,
Got the Msg. It's definitely the site problem.

I will boot leg the fuel (again) and run direct voltage to the battery/coil.

Also, when I followed Pertronix they said to remove the ceramic ballast resistor by the dist. Place the two that were on the same lug (Crimped together on a factory lug and sealed) (presumably the one that runs to the tach and off the alt to the + side of the coil. The third was to be abandoned and disconnected from the starter. Is this correct.

Also, I have on the back of my Paris Rhone VP dist a small resistor in line that comes off purple and is then connected into a brown wire. Should that resistor also be removed???

The small resistor coming off the purple wire must be attached to post D on the alternator (see this link)

http://www.ebasicpower.com/charge/alternatorwiring.htm

and the other side of that purple wire must be connected to the + of the coil. If you don't do it that way, the likelihood is that the alternator won't excite and it won't produce any output, so your batteries will drain.

The original ballast resistor must be removed, you don't need (nor want) it with the Pertronix electronic ignition.

The other wire coming from the starter solenoid to the + of the coil must also be disconnected.

I have an empty pole on the alt that has an odd symbol that's vacant, but the purple resisted wire that originates and turns brown in the loom says +. (I'll check it again but I'm pretty sure.)

You the man!

Denny

Refer to the link above at ebasicpower and wire your alternator accordingly.

Back