Logo

2-71 Spark Ignition Conversion...How?

jpf1030

Howdy,
I just joined this group in hopes to find someone who can guide us in doing a spark ignition conversion to a 2-71 Detroit. We are setting it up to run off fuel generated by a wood gasifier in remote location where diesel fuel supply would not be available. We would be very appreciative if any of you could steer us to all the info to make this conversion. Thanks a bunch...Jim

Not too difficult at all. Will need to machine a few parts though. Or have them made. I'm not sure of optimum compression ratio for flue gas, that is one area that will need addressing. Next will be an ignition system of some sort, and of course the induction system for the gas. For ignition system you could use an old outboard mag or distributor system. There are lots of different options.

JPF reply to diceromc...Re: 2-71 Spark Ignition Conversion...How?

Howdy diceromc,
Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. The max we should have for compression is 15:1 for the woodgas as it reportedly will spontaneously combust at any higher compression. We will have to address a slight compression reduction, but there are ways to deal with that. Having never worked on a 2-71, we will have a learning curve, but we've tackled lots of new projects. It is nice hearing from folks like you who are more knowledgeable than us as it will certainly help us to avoid some pitfalls. I'm so dumb, I went out to look what we would need on converting from injectors to spark plugs and found no injectors on the exterior of the engine, adding maybe a little more challenge since they are obviously on the inside. Again, thanks a bunch for your reply as every morsel of knowledgeable info is much appreciated...Jim

Back