Logo

Where to get an impeller for 1990 70 hp engine

NS70A2

Dear all

I just replaced our 1990 Nissan 70 hp engine with a 50 hp Evinrude E-TEC. The new owner of the Nissan needs to change the impeller, and I would like to try and help.
We have both tried to get one locally, here in Norway (Europe) with
no success yet.
The engine is the NS70A2 type.
Could anyone please tell where one could buy an impeller?
Thanks, and best regards,

Snorre,
Stjoerdal, Norway.

You will want to order 353650210M IMPELLER(NS45A2-70A2) $29.72

Normally, I recommend a complete pump kit, with liner and guide plate, as well as gaskets. Alas the pump liner and guide plate are NLA (no longer available) from Tohatsu America.

Any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer can order one for you. Many US dealers (myself included) can ship one to you, but the postage may exceed the value of the part. Your local dealer is:

LOXKEL A/S
NYGARDSVEIEN 67, NORDBY
1400 SKI, NORWAY
47-64-97-6180 (TEL)
47-64-97-6190 (FAX)
URL: http://www.loxkel.no

Good morning Paul,

I have a 1989 NS70A2 motor and wanted to order an impeller for the water pump. When I entered the part number, it said no longer available. Do you have any for sale? I would also be interested in a factory service manual for that motor. Thanks for your help and information.

Norm
Appling, GA

Norm, as we discussed on the phone, while there were a few impellers left a few months ago, they are now NLA from Tohatsu America. Only possibility is if a dealer has one still on the shelf (I don't) or finding some sort of aftermarket equivalent, based on dimensions. Alas, the days of the 70A are numbered. The gearcase for a 70C does not interchange onto a 70A, but there is a possibility that the entire LU might interchange. Don't know, as I never looked into it. If it does, and if you can find a donor 70C (with a blown powerhead for example), you could then use the modern 70C pump, as it would fit the newer LU.

Last edited:
If anyone needs an impeller for a Tohatsu 55B, 50C, 60A or 70A2, I am recasting them in urethane (part number NS45A2-70A2 Tohatsu part number 353-65021-0). I will soon be casting an impeller housing/case for these models (part number 353650162M).

Hi JohnieHelmet.
Sorry but I am not making the stainless steel guide plate. I am making the impeller and pump case with urethane as they do not cause any friction when used together. I will be testing some impellers tomorrow so while I have the impeller out, I want to look at the base of the housing to see if I can manufacture a urethane base that deletes the need for a stainless steel plate. I am hoping to make the whole assembly with urethane so the pump is an install and forget item. Providing the pump does not suck up too much sand, it should last the engine out. Its a shame the suppliers do not sell these parts anymore as the Tohatsu engine is a very well built engine and there is no reason most of them are getting scrapped after 10 or 15 years. They have the ability to last much, much longer than that.
Sorry I could not help you with the guide plate.
Best regards,
Scott.

Hi I would like to get a few impellers for the nissan/tohatsu 353650210m for my NS50C nissan if possible
Thanks
Tommy Sonnier
337-375-3645
DeRidder,LA USA

Re: If my microsoft office 2010 trial expires can I buy a new product key?

Hi I would like to get a few impellers for the nissan/tohatsu 353650210m for my NS50C nissan if possible
Thanks
Tommy Sonnier
337-375-3645
DeRidder,LA USA

If anyone needs an impeller for a Tohatsu 55B, 50C, 60A or 70A2, I am recasting them in urethane (part number NS45A2-70A2 Tohatsu part number 353-65021-0). I will soon be casting an impeller housing/case for these models (part number 353650162M).

If you have one please let me know. Thanks

Hello Lee56.
Yes I do have some ready to go. I'll drop you a private message with details.
All the best,
Scott.

Hi Scott (kat69), I've sent you a PM and email but have not heard back, I have paypal funds waiting to send, just need email adress info and final cost with shipping to Canada, please let me know, thanks.

To everyone who is waiting on the impeller for the 70A2, I deeply appologize for your long wait. I am currently waiting on the material I use for the core (the same material the original impellers) and I have just bought a new lathe so I can turn my own from now on. The material will only take a day or two but the lathe may take a week. The good news is that I have plenty of urethane veins that have cured so once I get the lathe, I can assemble them and send them off straight away.
While I am waiting for those parts to come in, I have kept myself busy making pump cases with an integral urethane cup liner and I have been working on another part of the pump that I know causes some people a lot of grief.
I am doing some R&D on the lower half of the pump case. I had trouble finding a stainless steel plate and I recently tried to find the double sided seal that separates the gearbox oil from the water pump. Evidently its an original part as I could not match it up anywhere. I have machined mine to fit two standard seals back to back. I will cast these in urethane with an integral bottom plate in lieu of the stainless steel plate. I will then have the whole water pump that I can sell as a unit and its all made using urethane which is self lubricating, so hopefully it will never need to be looked at again. One way or another I'll keep the old Tohatsu's working. These engines are wonderfully engineered and will go forever.

I must thank everyone who has ordered a part from me for your continued patience and kind words. These impellers and other outmoded Tohatsu parts are my main priority now and I have reduced my hours at work so I can focus on getting these made and out to customers. My goal is to keep out of stock supplies rolling so people can enjoy boating without the big hit of a new engine everytime something fails.

Best regards and thanks again,
Scott Lintern.

i need that waterpump for a 50c 1990-92 i ant clear what year between been looken for 3 months have heard of u could not find you can u contact me hope i can figure out how to respond

My name is Fred West and I am happy to announce that I am able to furnish the impeller for to 40, 50 60 and 70a2 engines.
my email address is
[email protected]
please furnish contact information and an invoice will be sent to you via email for payment

norm see new post for U S suppier Fred West
Good morning Paul,

I have a 1989 NS70A2 motor and wanted to order an impeller for the water pump. When I entered the part number, it said no longer available. Do you have any for sale? I would also be interested in a factory service manual for that motor. Thanks for your help and information.

Norm
Appling, GA

The one I have measures 2 3/8 outside dia, approx 11/16 inside dia, and approx 15/16 thickness. Do you have one that size available?

Hello Xavier.

Not a problem with that impeller. I now have a lathe so I can make, modify or rebuild any impeller. Those dimensions you gave me are all pretty much spot on for the 70A2 except the inside diameter. If you are sure that is the correct inside diameter (double check with the shaft) I can simply turn the core of one of my impellers to suit. What type of key way do you have?
Here is a chart to help you identify the key.

I hope this helps.
Scott Lintern.

Hello.

I just took some photo's of the work completed so far to make a complete pump unit.
My previous efforts at making impellers fell flat on it's face after I was sold some very second rate products. It was a bit like getting the carpet pulled out from underneath me as I wanted to help people and I wanted to develop a business, but the product that I was using was junk. I went to a different supplier who put me back on track with "Industrial" grade urethane. I could kick the first supplier for making me look like an idiot.
I also bought a lathe so I could turn the cores of the impellers using a billet piece of Delrin so there will be no weak spots and the unit will be super tough.
The new urethane is better than the old material in more ways than one. I could tell the difference as soon as I peeled it out of the mold. I have attached some pictures of a core as well as two pictures of an impeller. One of the pictures shows the flexibility of the new urethane.
I have also attached a picture showing my progress with the rest of the pump. The pump cover is ready to go and I am getting close to finishing the lower part of the pump. A few months back I received a question about getting a lower seal for this pump. It's a two sided seal that keeps the pump water and the gearbox fluid apart. I could not source this anywhere so I have modified my unit to accept a different seal. Another problem was getting a stainless plate for the pump so I have modified the plate so it is approximately 5mm thick and made of a rigid urethane. I had to mill down the lower pump section to accommodate this. What I have now is a urethane impeller running inside a urethane pump case and that is pressing down on a urethane plate. Hopefully, I should get a really low amount of friction and hardly any heat.
I was a bit dubious about posting pictures on the forum but I had a quick read of the rules and there are instructions of how to post pictures so I guess it's ok. I will remove them and replace them with a link if it causes any trouble.
Also, could everyone who has bought one of my previous disasters please contact me for a free replacement. Even if your unit is working fine, I would rather see you using one of these new impellers.

wvSJ0.jpg

A new core straight off the lathe.

DuMPt.jpg

The finished impeller.

UZkNi.jpg

The flexibility is completely different from the previous units.

Z5yjS.jpg

Here is my messy work bench with the current work in progress. I have a run of cores that have just been turned as well as the pump case laying on it's back. Next to that is the two halves of the lower part of the pump. The thin piece will be made of urethane and the lower section will either be rigid urethane or an epoxy that is similar to the original pump case.

I have also made new keys for the impellers and rubber plugs for the pump case that seals the aluminium tube that heads up to the engine.

Well, that's all for now. I'll drop by with an update after I have made some more progress.

All the best,
Scott.

Scott, it looks like you are doing some fantastic work over there. I like what you are doing. I have one question. How is the white delrin and the impeller held together? I mean, is it a friction fit? or glued? otherwise the impeller will slip on the core. Excuse my ignorance if you have mentioned that before.

Hi Jermbos.

I have to use a special epoxy and I have to treat the Delrin so it will adhere. In it's standard form, almost nothing will stick to Delrin because it has paired hydrogen bonds that gives it that waxy feel. The Delrin has to be treated to break or convert the bonds so the epoxy can find a key. The original units were epoxied so that why I went with that method. I figured the Tohatsu Engineers must have been doing this for a lot longer than me, so I'll go with their design.
icon7.png

Thanks for reading the write-up. Sorry if it was a bit long winded.
Scott.

Back