Logo

Where to get an impeller for 1990 70 hp engine

Hi All.
I am now able to render any object in 3D on the computer and print it on a 3D printer. I then cast it in silicon and I can make a reproduction in silicon, urethane, resin, plaster or white metal. It can be rescaled so the sky is the limit with what can be made. Any part for any motor can now be made to original specifications. I am in the process of developing a 3D scanner so I do not have to redraw every item if I have a decent working sample. I can simply scan it and make amendments to the 3D image. Of course, this is not limited to motor parts as your imagination is the limit. I am currently drawing the impeller for the M6A so I will post some pictures of the finished 3D render and the final printed unit here.
Scott (karbonwerx)

I happy to see that you are now selling the 70A2 water pump kits with the lower housing on ebay now. I contacted you via a ebay message awhile back about that and am planning on ordering one of those kits sometime soon. I was wondering if you have thought about casting the upper and lower mount rubbers for that motor. I have searched for them and have found a few but not many. With so few in numbers they seem to cost nearly $100 a piece and I need both uppers and both lowers as mine are fairly well dry rotted. With that price tag i could almost go buy a used motor but the 70A2 is a good motor and I would rather not. I would be happy to send you mine if you need a set to cast a mold off of. They are not in any usable condition other then for short term testing (and I'm not really sure they should even be used for that at the moment) but they should suffice for molding. Thanks again for all your hard work and I am happy to see that things are progressing for you.

Ken

Hi Ken.
I have only just placed the lower section of the pump on Ebay and I have already had two sales. I thought they might sit there for a while but there must be people out there that need them.
No problems making the upper and lower mount rubbers. Feel free to send me yours as a unit to cast or if the parts look like they can be turned, from memory they can, you could send me an illustration with dimensions and I can turn one on my lathe. I can then make a silicon mold and cast them in urethane.
I offer new for old replacement for parts I don't list at the moment, so if you can either send me your examples or give me a decent drawing to work from, I will send you the new parts back at no charge bar postage, which will probably end up costing you about $12.
I hope this helps you get out of a tough situation.
All the best,
Scott.

That would be great. If you want to send me a private message with your address I will get those to you as quickly as I can. Thanks again.

Ken

Hi Ken.
I have just sent you a private message with my address. I look forward to receiving them and restoring them to original spec's. I'll let you know when I have sent the new units back.
All the best and thanks for taking me up on the offer. It's the best way I can think of to increase my inventory. Should anyone else need these units, I would say they will sell for about $50 for the top set and $50 for the lower set. If I can develop a way of making them faster than I expect, I will be able to lower that price proportionately.
Best regards,
Scott.

Hi Ken.
Great to hear that they are in the mail. I'll keep my eye out for them. Thanks for sending all four. I have a better chance of getting the correct dimensions if I have a few to work from. If I can't get a good dimension from one, I have a better chance of getting a dimension from the other if they have rotted. I'm looking forward to picking them up so I can get stuck into them :)
All the best,
Scott.

I have been receiving a few private messages about where I am selling my units so I thought I had better put the details on the forum. My general 70A2 impeller is at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tohatsu-Nis..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3374fa0da3&vxp=mtr and if you click on the 'See all items' you will see the other units I sell. I have made two complete pumps including the lower half with all of the water seals but I will stop listing these as they are very labor intensive and time consuming to make. I will make some if there are die hards out there, but I can't do it for $200 as listed and I did not want to charge more as most people would just say it's too expensive and buy a new engine. I'll continue making them in my own time and list them as they are available. If anybody desperately wants one, feel free to add to this post or pm me and I'll make the extra effort to get one made for you. As you all know, my main task is to help everyone keep the old outboards running so if you are in a jam, please feel free to ask for help.
Best regards,
Scott.

Sorry to see that you have stopped listing the complete water pump kit before I was able to order one. My father-in-law says he "thinks" he knows where the lower half of the pump is but just in case would you mind letting me know how much you would be selling that kit for? I certainly have plenty of time as I also have to replace the steering cable, do some glass work, and quite a few other things before this boat is back in the water =). On another note, those motor mounts should be getting to pretty soon if they haven't arrived already. I hope that they are in decent enough condition for you to work with. Thanks again for all the work you are doing.

Ken

Hi Ken.
I was able to pick up your motor mounts today after work and went straight to the aluminum supplier to get some new material for the inner and outer cases. I bought 3 feet of each so I will have enough for anyone else that may need some.
I will build up the units you sent me using modeling clay and then I can turn them down om my lathe to the original specifications. Once that is complete, I can make a mold of the repaired unit and cast new mounts with new inner and outer cases. If the mounts were unusable, I was going to render them in 3D on the computer and get them printed in 3D, but the units you sent are good enough to use so I will be able to start work on them this weekend.
I'll try to show you a picture of the work in progress after the weekend.
Best regards,
Scott.

I received the M6A impeller unit from the 3D printers a week or so ago and it looked great. I made a mold from that unit and I have sold a few impellers using the new mold. I have received great feedback so far from three buyers, one saying that the unit was better than the original! I'm all smiles :D
Once I get faster at using the 3D program, I will be able to make anything using urethane, silicon, resin, white metal, glass, ABS plastic and stainless steel.

Thanks for the positive comment Paul:D
I have found some brass tube that I can use for the 70A2 impeller instead of turning brass rod on my lathe. It should work out to be a great deal cheaper to make so I will pass the savings on to the customer. I'm not doing this to make a living. It's more of a paid hobby that makes me feel good to be helping people. I would say the brass cored units will sell for approximately $65 each rather than $85. At that price, I will probably stop making the Acetal cored units as there price is so close and the brass units are, in my opinion, better.

Ken. I docked off the aluminum for your Tohatsu engine mounts today and I will turn a replica unit tomorrow that I will then make a mold with. I could not get any tube for the inside of the smaller mounts, so I bought some solid rod and I will turn them down and ream them out to suit. I could only buy it by the meter so I have enough material for another ten or so units.

All the best,
Scott.

Great work Scott, glad to hear about all this custom work.
I noticed you saying you need to figure out the 3D CAD software. I am a 3D CAD designer and I know how to use many design programs. maybe I could help you out.
PM me or email me if you like.
Jeremy

Hey Scott,
Great to hear that the mounts were in usable condition. I'm looking forward to see the progress. It's very exciting to know that I have managed to help (even in a small way) you in your venture of making these parts available again.
Best regards,
Ken

Hi Ken.
I may have found some small tube that I can use for the inner tube of the small mount. I have been making impellers and case covers tonight to keep up with orders so sorry, I have no progress to show you concerning the mounts. I'm glad to hear that you are excited about helping me get these parts available again. You're actually helping in a big way so thank you very much for sending the parts through.
All the best,
Scott.

That's great that you may have found some tubing that might work. As far as progress no rush. I still have some glass work, a steering cable, cleaning of the fuel tank, trailer repairs, just to name a few of the things to keep me busy with this boat while I'm waiting lol. Keep up the good work and thanks again.
Regards,
Ken

Hello Ken.
Slow progress I know, I managed to make a mold of your engine mounts today and recast them in resin as you can see here.
YsraY.jpg

I have since turned the resin down so the superfluous material has been removed and I have built up the missing sections using polyester resin. That was then turned down so I could see any areas that need some more polyester. I now have to add some polyester to some small areas but I ran out of material. I'll pick some up tomorrow and fill those last areas. Once that has completely cured, I will turn it once more on the lathe to create the final unit to make a mold from.
I'll add a picture of the unit once I have it ready for that stage.

All the best,
Scott.

Hi Ken.
I managed to get some more work finished on your engine mounts over the weekend. I machined some aluminum for the inner and outer tubes as seen below.
5bdc4.jpg

I have also finished making one of the mounts and I'll be pouring two more tonight. I hope to have them finished for you by the end of the week.
wU4RF.jpg

Here's a picture of a completed unit.

All the best,
Scott.

WOW... that looks amazing. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your hard work. I hope things are going well for you. And thanks again.

Best Regards,
Ken

Hi Ken.
Thanks for the nice comments and no problems with the hard work. It keeps my mind active when I get home from work. To be honest, these jobs keep me sane after work as the other half left me a few months back so I'm trying to keep busy. I have had to get a new job to cover the bills on my own so I doubt that I will be able to continue building up my plastics business. Time is getting the better of me. As much as it's good to keep busy, I'm burning the candle on both ends so I doubt that I will be pushing for any more parts to mold. I have the 70A2 and M9 impellers and they are keeping me busy enough. I have heard that there is another guy making them in America and I certainly do not bear any malice toward him for making them too. Most think I should look at him as the opposition but I say good on him and I hope things go well for him. I have not posted any impellers on Ebay for a while as I have been trying to catch up with back orders. I'm pretty much there now so I'll build up some stock again and start posting.
All the best,
Scott.

Hello everyone.
Just dropping you a note to say that I have been called
out to an emergency repair on an oil rig. I might not be able to answer any
messages for ten days or there abouts so please don't think I'm ignoring you if
you send a message and I don't reply.
All the best,
Scott.

Well, I'm starting up again. After a bad patch with a separation I'm trying to keep myself occupied with making some more impellers. I have been waiting for some different urethane for ages and now I am working at an engineering company, I have the resources to make a decent go of it. I have sponge blasted some brass rod and here you can see the brass being cut to length.
TV6YgUg.jpg

I have also made two test strips with the epoxy and urethane sandwiched between some steel to test the epoxy's bond to the urethane. I will do a lap shear test in the load frame before I'm confident enough to put the impellers on the market.
AHq3Eki.jpg

Scott,
Glad to hear things are starting to move in a good direction for you. Keep me posted when you start producing water pump parts again because I'll certainly be needing them at some point. Also, have you made any progress with the motor mounts, I know last I talked to you, you were having some separation problems. I hope things continue to get better for you.
All the Best,
Ken

Back