Logo

1984 mercury 115 hp no top end

Re: 1984 mercury 115 no top end

Do an inspection of the check valves in the fuel pump.-----------------Found a motor ( this year ) like yours where a check valve was sticking and not enuff fuel was being pumped. -------------Replace faulty check valve and motor ran perfect again.

Yes, some later models incorporated the reeds with the center main bearing (all one unit) such that they are an integral part. The crank spins freely (through) the reeds which appear as a donut with the crank running through the hole in the middle.

Reed blocks that do not rotate have been used on MERCURY from about the mid 40's to the late 80's.-----------Reed blocks are sometimes called " main bearings " and the others with the roller bearings are called " center main bearing " and do not have reed valves in them.---------------On a " tower of power " there are 3 main bearings with reeds and 2 center main bearings ( no reed valves )

Put on new fuel pump did not help. motor runs fine for the first 10 min. 5300 rpm, then motor drops to 4500 rpm then it will not run over 4500 rpm for that day ???????? Stator ?????? take it out the next day and it does the same thing ????

Seems like everytning has been looked at-----------Look into throttle bores with a strong flashlight at full throttle and compare amount of fuel coming up the main jet.----------I would be marking the flywheel with a line where each cylinder should be firing at full throttle.---------------See if an " electronic glitch " is making it fire at the wrong time -----far fetched but it seems you have looked at almost everything else.------------------Other possible problems are------reed valves / water in fuel / crankcase sealing / blockage in the exhaust housing / water leak into cylinder from leaking gasket / carburetor flooding.

will the stator make this motor act like this ????? thanks for your help i am thinking about changing it what is the best way to check it i checked it on ground it it checked good but not hot tired to heat it and check it too. what would the stator do if it was going out.

Back