Logo

water inlet connection

myquest

Contributing Member
It has been recommended that I replace my water inlet connection while my 275 upper drive is off. Is this a wear part? It doesn't look like it would necessarily go bad. It's not an inexpensive part so I'm wondering what the rationale is for changing.

Those erode from the inside so their condition isn't allways apparent from the outside. It's an item that commonly wears away and causes loss of suction so it's a good idea to keep an eye on it. At $40 for the fitting and gasket, I think they're relatively cheap compared to the potential headaches. It's much easier to change out with the outdrive off. At the very least, would be a good idea to inspect the inside closely for out of round, corrosion, cracking, pitting, or anything else off normal.

Thanks,
I just picture broken bolts and more grief but the recommendation was for a touch of heat and patience. I'll order that part for peace of mind.

Those erode from the inside so their condition isn't allways apparent from the outside. It's an item that commonly wears away and causes loss of suction so it's a good idea to keep an eye on it. At $40 for the fitting and gasket, I think they're relatively cheap compared to the potential headaches. It's much easier to change out with the outdrive off. At the very least, would be a good idea to inspect the inside closely for out of round, corrosion, cracking, pitting, or anything else off normal.
Yep, Ditto!
The cost for replacing this will be paled by comarison to the cost of an over-heating issue, should you have one!
If you remove and inspect, and it proves to be OK....., you will need a new special "beaded" gasket when re-installing.
These should be at least looked at every two years or less.... depending on salt water use or not.
Great excuse to change drive oil and to remove the transmission and inspect the bellows!

Thanks,
I just picture broken bolts and more grief but the recommendation was for a touch of heat and patience. I'll order that part for peace of mind.
You've touched on the most important part of this.
And Peace of Mind you'll get!

Apply a mild amount of heat to the Suspension Fork just adjacent to the two small bolts. A small propane torch works great.... be careful, as there is a plastic bushing within the fork. You will not harm the bushing if you do not over heat it.
Just warm enough so that can not hold your finger on it for very long.

If it turns out that the heat was unncessary, you will not have broken bolts....., and I'll buy the propane! :D

hi,
If the stern drive is off, definately replace it. I just replaced mine in situ on the trailer in my driveway with the stern drive on, NIGHTMARE, could not get access to the bolts properly and they would only move 1/4 turn with the ratchet, never want to go down that road again, finaly got the old one off and the new one on in three days!!!!:)

There is NO need to remove the entire stern drive for this work.
Unless you are getting into hinge pin bushings, Reverse Latch removal, etc, it is much much easier to remove the transmission only.
With the trans out of your way, this area is wide open for this work.

The cost is four O-rings and one phenolic gasket.

If your oil is pristine and clean, re-use it.

Well, I removed my water inlet with no problems. There was no visible corrosion and the gasket looked great. I have a new part on the way. Should I still go ahead and replace this part while I am there?

Yes!

If you are certain that the old one is usable, toss it in your spare parts box, along with a NEW special beaded gasket.
This gasket is equally important...., and note that the bead installs aiming DOWN.

Back