Logo

Buck Algonquin stuffing box/new shaft

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I wanted to post this in case it happens to someone else. Search a prior thread on the same topic but it does appear that a new shaft does need to "polish" (wear) into the Buck stuffing box just as they said.

I was pulling my hair out after re-packing three times trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

The stuffing box temps were "ok", higher than the other side around 115-120 at very low (less than 2k) RPM's but shot up to 160 if you ran it faster for more than a couple of mins. I put about 6 hours on it last weekend just cruising around at 10 knots and I guess that was enough. The temp seemed to be coming down the longer I ran it and settled in just over 100 by the time I got back.

I took it for about about a 90 minute run today with about 15 minutes at about 3k RPM's and the temp was right around 90 and held steady. The water temp is 75. It's only about 5 degrees hotter than the other side which is ok with me.

Bob

Thanks for the update Bob!

Glad those "Buck Boys" are still on top of their game.....something that gets harder to find, everyday.

Back