Logo

Inline fuel filter, or no inline fuel filter? 1981 50 hp

RKM

Got the 1981 50HP running yesterday. Yahoodie! Bought new fuel tank, fuel line, recarb, fuel pump. All the things I have read about on this site.
I have seen a few threads where people have put inline fuel filters between the tank and the motor. I do understand this purpose, but does this put strain on those small fuel diaphrams?

Thx, Robert

Re: Inline fuel filter, or no inline fuel filter?

Why worry? Lots of space to put a filter after the pump, where it belongs.

Jeff

I run a separator filter between tank and pump, but I also run a small, 1.5 psi lift pump before the filter.
I catch a LOT of water this way.

Regards, Andrew.

WTF Lift pump?? What's this about? How does it work?

It's just a fancy name for a pump that pulls fuel from the tank rather than pressurising or handling main fuel supply.
All it does is ensure the filter is kept full, thereby preventing the engine pump from having to work too hard against to much of a pressure head and maybe not even being able to draw fuel through the filter.
The pump I use is a small rattle type pump that is only rated to 1.5 psi.

Regards, Andrew.

I hope you have it rigged so that if the motor stops running, the pump stops pumping.

I hope you have it rigged so that if the motor stops running, the pump stops pumping.

No, it just pumps day and night, even all through the winter when I am not using the boat.:rolleyes:
It's a lift pump and the maximum pressure it can generate is less then the diaphragm pump. The pressure is also less than that required to overwhelm the needles and seats on the carbs.
Of course the pump is only energised when the ignition is on.

Regards, Andrew.

Back