Logo

BF225 - HO2 Sensor Repair Saga

Yep another O2 sensor repair story but I am looking for some advice.

I have a 2006 Honda 225, registered with Honda in the fall of 2007. The engine has less than 300 hours on it and this spring I started to experience O2 Sensor alarm. It was not consistent until early June and I determined that the MIL Lights were out. So I took it to a dealer and here is where my trouble started.

First the Dealer took a week to get his system up to date, I guess his hand held diagnostic tool was out of date and he had to wait for a software update.

Finally they confirmed what I had already done following the diagnostics in the shop manual - HO2 Sensor Fault. So they called in the Honda Service Rep to approve the SB-56 repair under warranty. Honda agrees and the repair commences.

During the teardown the mechanic found some "SPRING"?? in the oil pan. He calls Honda Rep back and they say, "Tear Down the Power Head and Have a Look See". After the teardown of the power head the mechanic decides that a rocker arm assembly is corroding. No Cylinder Damage, just the rocker arm assembly.

The Honda Rep decides that this is not related to the Exhaust Pipe design issue but rather that I must have ingested water in the engine. So this part of the repair will not be covered under warranty!:mad:

My bill is running close to $2500 for parts and labor for this part of the repair.

My question is have anyone else run into this? How could water have gotten into the head cover but not damaged the cylinder or shown up in the oil? I have a call into Honda Customer relations and am awaiting their review.

I'd wait to see what Honda CR says, but it does sound very strange. It also sounds like Honda should have covered and "corrosion to the rocker arm assembly" under their regular warranty, whether it is related to the exhaust tubes, or not. Also, since Honda authorized the tear down in the first place, it seems they should have covered that.

This comment is from an owner who has a very good dealer. Would like to hear what any of the Honda Tech's might have to say.

honestly sounds all to familar, I have o2 problems in the past with my 2002 225.. When it comes to getting new engines I am really conmsidering to switch to another brand because of all these story's of engine probelms and also honda reps not back problems. I have yet to get sb#56 done on mine going to attemp to do myself for just this reason don't want the headache.. One thing IO felt that has helped me with reguards to o2 sensonr is I tilt motors up when put on trailer and when coming off plane seems to have helped tremendously
please let us know on outcome please

aristakat, I am confused a little, you tilting up your motor on trailer, I would drag the skeg if the motor wasn't tilted(raised). Also, I don't understand the last part about tilting the motor when coming off plane? Please explain what you are doing.
I know there is a pretty big back wash when coming off plane, but I think I am high enough not to have to worry about water getting into the exhaust.

I had problem with Honda with my 225 and H20 problem. I received notice of recall from Honda 10/2010 and I immediately called my dealer. My dealer said if the alarm is not sounding not to worry about it. My Honda warranty expired 6/2011 and 3 weeks later the H20 alarm sounded. Due to illness I only had about 10 hours on the engine between 10/2010 and 6/2011. I have a total of 220 hours on the engine. Honda would not approve the repair. My deale contacted the Honda Tech and the local Honda Rep. I contacted Honda directly in Atlanta. My dealer had an old style H20 sensor and I had him put that on for $220. The new H20 sensor needs to be replaced with a new PCM board and costs $1100. This is my 3rd Honda Outboard. I will be in the market for a new boat soon and definately will not go with Hondas due to my dismay. It appears the only resolution is for me to pay back Honda with my check book and lack of a sale for twin 225 outboards on my new boat.

once again o2 sensor needing replaced the saga continues :(

typical alarms came on took to dealer to check code w his handheld BAM registered Bad o2 sensors

Curmudgeon - SB #56 dealt only with the exhaust tubes that were responsible for blowing a lot of HO2 sensors. SB #70 and SB#71 deal with the new HO2 sensors and problems with the ECM on later model 200's and 225's. If you need copies, send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Hello, I just found this forum and this is my first post so please forgive me if I am not following accepted protocol.
I am the second owner of a 2006 Honda 225, I purchased used in 2008 with only 45 hours. I am not a mechanic. No service bulletins have been done on the motor, only oil changes every 100 hours. I now have 982 hours on the motor. Here's the problem I am having:
Motor starts fine from the dock, after running for 30 - 45 minutes at various speeds, I power off, use trolling motor for 30 minutes, then attempt to start big motor. It will not start, just cranks but will not fire. I get no alarms. It acts like kill switch is engaged but kill switch is fine. After sitting for a couple of hours, motor will start fine. Fuel primer bulb is firm. Never been in salt water. This problem started in July 2018 and was random. It is now repeatable to the point boat cannot be used. Repair shop has replaced all filters, fuel pump and water jacket. Problem still exists. I am headed to a new repair shop tomorrow. I am grateful for any advise.

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of helpful Honda owners and techs hang out here.

If could be a large number issues causing your problem. But the first thing I would do is disconnect the wires to the kill switch. It's possible that it is malfunctioning when it gets warm. If that fixes the problem, replace the kill switch.

Can someone name a few oxygen sensors used on the 225hp please. As i own a 130hp which runs on an open loop circuit and does,nt have an oxygen sensor.

Try metal chicken's suggestion, check there is spark when it will not start. The main relay can be a problem on that motor, usually they fail cpmpletely but I did have one intermittant, so no soark would be a typical relay problem

Back