Logo

1987 bayliner capri

ben2010

I have a 1987 bayliner capri , recently replaced the lower gear case. I have had it out twice and noticed the steering goes all the way to the right but barely turns to the left.Is this something the mechanic forgot to realign. Or could it be an isuue with the cable that regulates the steering. Need help asap! Would like to stop going in circles.its a volvo penta with a 275 steern drive.

Last edited:
The lower unit has nothing to do with the steering unless the trimtab is turned way the wrong way. Open up the engine compartment and turn the wheel untill the tiller arm comming from the drive is straight forward. Now turn the wheel and see how far it goes one way then the other. These should be very close to equal. If not you need to adjust where the cable nut, aluminum, threads on. It should be a tube with nuts on it to move back and forth. Pretty self explained. By moving this tube with the nuts back and forth you will get full turn going each way.

If no one has recently changed the Collar Steering fork, or the Spindle Arm, your Port/Stbd lock-to-lock should be unchanged.
The relationship between the Fork and Spindle Arm are what control this.
If not indexed correctly, you will not have equal turning.... no matter what you do with the cable!

Sounds to me that your exhaust outlet is not adjusted correctly.

Also note that the 250/270/275 exhaust outlet control for "Prop Wash" or "Prop Torque" is better controlled on this drive when a LH prop is used.
Don't ask why.... I can't give you a decent answer!
This "Trim Fin" or "Torque Tab" adjustment is NOT as effective as is with the 280/290 drives.
You'll just have to make due best you can!

Back