Logo

Oil pressure

Recently rebuilt Crusader 270 after a spun bearing. Plastigauged all bearing journals’ and all were at min specs. Oil pressure was 50 psi at 1500 rpm, now it’s at 80 psi at 1500 rpm. Less than 5 min on rebuild. Is this normal this new after rebuild?

If the oil is still cold, yes. My old Chrysler motor runs that high until it warms up, then drops down to 40-50 pounds. Yours might as well.

Jeff

PS: I hope no one talked you into a high volume oil pump! That's for race engines only.

It is possible that high volume pumps with higher pressures forces the drive gears for the oil pump to work at greater forces which may cause higher wear. You may then need to change cam gears and today's oil can run 5-10psi / 1k rpm. Also possible to force oil past seals. In an engine that is torn down routinely, it is easy to keep these issues at bay but I would rhink this is not something you want to do to the boat engine. This exact thing happened to my 1980 Oldsmobile DIESEL station wagon. The oil pump drive gear and dog, broke off from the higher pressures...Of course THAT engine was a dog from day 1

Recently rebuilt Crusader 270 after a spun bearing. Plastigauged all bearing journals’ and all were at min specs. Oil pressure was 50 psi at 1500 rpm, now it’s at 80 psi at 1500 rpm. Less than 5 min on rebuild. Is this normal this new after rebuild?

It's normal for a high rpm race engine. So, a couple of questions. How are you measuring the oil pressure? And, was any top end work done; as in new lifters and/or cam? 2000 is a better first start rpm after a rebuild, but that's beside the point.
Did the pressure rise from 50 to 80 at 1500 during this few minutes? That seems suspect to me, in a healthy engine, even after a fresh rebuild.

OK, lets say the 80 psi is real and is now your cruise pressure. That really loads the drive system for the oil pump, and perhaps subjects the filter can to a bit higher than it needs to be. The real issue can be a COLD start. Its now the middle of summer, what happens with a 40 deg start? That will REALLY stress the drive system. You would want a 0W/40 synthetic to even attempt such a start, in my opinion. And, use a strong filter, maybe a K&E, Mobile 1, etc.
Sorry, if that pressure is real, I'd put a stock pump in there.

..."1980 Oldsmobile DIESEL station wagon. The oil pump drive gear and dog, broke off from the higher pressures...Of course THAT engine was a dog from day one"

You bet it was! The head bolts were so weak it would literally blow the heads off.

A woman was driving through the Callahan Tunnel (Boston) when that happened to her Olds. She saw huge dents start appearing in her hood "Like a Ballpark Franks commercial!"

A friend of mine was driving his Olds diesel powered pickup on I-24 when it blew the crank right out the bottom and onto the Interstate, taking out his rear tires and putting him in a ditch!

Jeff

Not to add to the dysfunction BUT...by the time this F(*&^ car ran well enough, it was on its 4th engine, a new Targetmaster diesel.. Ran great...of course the vehicle then had about 100,000 miles. Thing is that about 2000 of them were TOWED ! My wife called me from all over to pick her up with the kids, who were babies then. I STILL THINK GM OWES ME !!! No lemon laws then either

Hee, hee! My buddy Clint had THEM put at least 3 motors in his diesel Olds on warranty. And, believe it or not, the thing still runs! Heard it clattering away last year.

Jeff

It IS still running, thugh he doesn't use it anymore. He's keeping it for some reason--possible as a museum piece!

Jeff

OOOPs... Sorry Jeff, I meant MINE, I doubt is still running....

We got rid of it in 1984 and traded (screwed) for a DODGE MINIVAN ! Yee haw, We had joined the ranks of the modern family way. Of course the station wagon was the original method...when those minivans came along the entire society had changed and life was no longer as we knew it. Fax machines, answering machines became a way of life and the VIC 20 computer was born

Back