Logo

1985 AQ270 Tilt/trim motor

jcampbell

Regular Contributor
I have an 85 volvo penta 125a engine with a 270 drive. The engine and drive run great. How ever ive been noticing that the tilt trim motor has been getting slower and slower at lifting the drive. Now its to the point where it will lift it a lil bit then stop u wait a few seconds hit the switch again it will lift then stop. Repeat that about 4-5 times and the drive will be tilted up for trailering. Does this sound like a tired trim motor or could it be other issue? I dont feel its electrical cause it has no issues going down. The trim motor is an older electrolux one.

Thanks

Jason

Re: AQ270 Tilt/trim motor

Tighten the clutch cap up some first and see if that helps. It's the tall aluminum peice the black box sits on. If not look for a new motor. Is the battery fully charged/

The battery was fully charged i always hook my charger to it before taking it out to ensure that it is 100%. Plus running around the lake always charges it up. The assemby didnt feel loose but the trim motor will loosen when driving around. The lock washers or whatever they use are long gone, typically i would tighten them up and the drive would lift up and down fine. I will check it tomorrow. Anyone have a trim motor for sale :)

Jason

The black box thing is moveable but the alumimum piece is tight. Looks like its trim motor shopping time. Anyone know the part number? or i can look it up and when i re assemble is there anything special i have to do or does it slip in the mounting area?

In '85, this Lift Out unit would have used a 2 wire motor.... and I'm not sure if it would have been Eletrolux!
The newer motors seem to have more Poop! (Sierra or Arco seem to work well)

If the "Vice Rod" is not bent, the Lift Out unit (with a good motor) should be capable of raising the drive.

Back