Logo

4.3LX HP Rating

motogotro

Is there an easy way to tell the HP rating of a Mercruiser engine? I just bought a Bayliner 2050LS with a 4.3LX Vortec engine w/ 4bbl carb. The owner told me it was 180HP but I can't find anything anywhere to confirm that. The block is cracked on the engine so I'm going to have to replace it and I have a line on a complete used engine from a 1994 boat. The valve covers on the used engine do not say Vortec on them while the valve covers on my engine do say Vortec. Before I fork over the money for the used engine I'm trying to confirm that is is at least close in HP to the one I'm replacing. The plastic cover over the flame arrestor lists WOT at 4400-4800 if that matters at all. You would think they would list the HP there along with all the other data but no such luck.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mike

there should have been a tag, with all that info on it. what year is your boat?

New 4.3 has 205, but whatever one you get your drive will be good to push it.

I've been searching the Internet for info and there are as many answers to that question as there are people answering...lol.

I found one site that listed the 1995 4.3LX at 180hp and the 1994 4.3LX at 174hp which seems to align with what the owner thought it was. If there is a tag with the hp rating on it I have not been able to find it so far. If anyone knows where on the engine the tag would be I can take another look? The engine serial number according to the plastic cover over the engine is 0F416310.

Most of the sites I found seem to group the 94 and 95 4.3LX together so I'm thinking they are compatible although I still have not been able to confirm that they are both Vortec engines.

Thanks,

Mike

A 1994 is a step backwards in performance from a VORTEC engine. To me it's a $250 purchase because it's 16+ years old and you have "0" knowledge of the engine. Everything on your engine is a year newer but still old. Consider buying a complete drop-in engine or at least buy a reman. VORTEC shortblock or better yet, a longblock. You will be much happier in the long run.

A 1994 is a step backwards in performance from a VORTEC engine. To me it's a $250 purchase because it's 16+ years old and you have "0" knowledge of the engine. Everything on your engine is a year newer but still old. Consider buying a complete drop-in engine or at least buy a reman. VORTEC shortblock or better yet, a longblock. You will be much happier in the long run.

I can appreciate that and strictly from a happiness stand point I know that you are right; however, I don't think the boat is worth the price of a new engine. I'd be forced to sell it as a project boat before I'd go down that road.

I've been doing some research on the VORTEC engine and from what I can tell the difference is in the heads and intake manifold. Is it possible to put the VORTEC top end from my current engine on a non-VORTEC engine and is there any benefit to doing that?

Most of the sites I found seem to group the 94 and 95 4.3LX together so I'm thinking they are compatible although I still have not been able to confirm that they are both Vortec engines.

Ayuh,.... The motors tagged Vortec built before 1996 are Not Vortec motors,... It's Just the name Vortec...
The Vortec heads,+ intake were Intro'ed in 1996....

True Vortec motors have only 8 bolts holding the intake to the heads,...
Pre-vortec uses 12 bolts...

Ayuh,.... The motors tagged Vortec built before 1996 are Not Vortec motors,... It's Just the name Vortec...
The Vortec heads,+ intake were Intro'ed in 1996....

True Vortec motors have only 8 bolts holding the intake to the heads,...
Pre-vortec uses 12 bolts...

Man, you nailed it. I just went down and looked and sure enough my 1995 4.3 with VORTEC stamped all over the valve covers has 12 intake manifold bolts.

Using your serial number and by going off of service manual number 18 in the tune up specifications, your engine HP rating is going to be 175 HP.

The break down
MCM 4.3 L is 155 HP
MCM 4.3 LX is 175 HP

And if he had the
MCM 4.3 LX GEN + (2BBL) It would be 190 HP.
MCM 4.3 LXH GEN + (4BBL) it would be 205 HP
MCM 262 MAGNUM (EFI) GEN + it would be 205 HP

Back