Logo

5.7 GS PEFS spark plug type and gap

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,
Will an AC MR43LTS work for this application and do you know what the gap should be set at ? I feel like a fool asking but I don't see this info stamped on the motor tag like many others I have worked on.

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Jon, forums are great..... and there is much good info to be had via forums.
However, this is one area where you really should be gathering this info from YOUR Engine Model Specific Volvo Penta OEM owners manual!
Likewise with torque specs, Ingition timing specs, etc!

One misinterpretation.... one person inadvertently suggesting an incorrect p/n...... only one number off.... and you risk engine damage.
It is not worth it!

Once you get the correct number, note this in your log book!

Hi Guys,
Thanks for help. Ricardo, you are right on. The only reason I came to the forum is because my manuals are a bit old and don't go to MY 2000. The motor is a Vortec and the current plugs are the short thread earlier style. I believe this motor calls for a plug with a .708 reach. My PDS puller is coming along nicely and I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks,
Jon Allen

I ordered the stock VP plug set 4-5 years ago and they sent me the NGK BPR6EFS and have been using them ever since with no issues. I previously used Champion 401 but the NGKs definitely burn cleaner. I replace my plugs every season usually around 75 hours and I have the same engine, 5.7 GSi PEFS. Hope that helps.

I ordered the stock VP plug set 4-5 years ago and they sent me the NGK BPR6EFS and have been using them ever since with no issues. I previously used Champion 401 but the NGKs definitely burn cleaner. I replace my plugs every season usually around 75 hours and I have the same engine, 5.7 GSi PEFS. Hope that helps.
Well....., had you mentioned that you have the same exact engine as Jon...., this may have possibly been more realistic to take heed of.
And thank you for confirming!

I still maintain that info like this is best if we read it ourselves from our OEM manuals.

Sorry I didn't mention that up front- the replacement plugs are:
Champion #401, AC RS12YC, NGK BPR6EFS- gap for all .045- anti-seize on threads- torque to 20 ft. lbs (27Nm).

Hi Guys,
I'm going with the AC MR43lts as I already have a set. They cross over to the NGK's, the Champion 401's etc. The Vortec heads do take the longer plugs based on what I have seen. I want to thank everyone here for the help.

Thanks Again ,
Jon Allen

Back